Growing Tulips Indoors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You don't need much space to do it. For example, my mom grows one tulip bulb in a small glass:)
I'm a very greedy person, so I bought myself as many bulbs as I could, lol;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've never grew tulips that way though I know people have been doing it for ages. I've always had them grow potted or just in the ground. Have you had issues with mildew/mold?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Unfortunately, yes. I had to throw away four bulbs because they started to rot:( Growing tulips in water isn't easy, but in my opinion it's worth a try, because they look very pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
:/ It does look really pretty but it also seemed like a very easy way for mold and mildew to eat away at the bulbs. I wonder if there's a way to help wick some of the moisture to prevent rot and still have the pretty effect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I wonder about it too. I know that bulbs can't be soaked in water, so I put white pebbles in both vases, but it didn't help much:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Spanish moss probably? Like a thin layer on top of the bulbs? Unless they're too good at wicking haha.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds like a good idea! I might give it a try the next time I start growing tulips indoors. All old bulbs are already planted in my parents' garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Lemme know how that goes! I know that people use it as a sort of mulch and even insulation, ect. Wasn't sure how much moisture it'd wick if done that way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'll keep you posted:) Moss is one of my favorite little plants and I'd love to try to grow it indoors. It would be even better if it could help my tulips:)

Ask a Question