Growing Trees from Seeds

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a bag of London Plane tree seeds I bought on ebay and I'm going to try to grow an egg crate full of saplings that hopefully I eventually will plant around. It's going to be a hassle because the wild rabbit infestation eat everything before it can grow.

But I'll deal with that problem when I come to it. For now, the question is, what's the best way to plant from seed? I've never grown a tree before. I have potting soil for the egg crate and some containers to move them to once they grow. Should I germinate the seeds first? If so, how should I do that? How do I know when its time to upgrade the tree to a bigger container? If they don't grow big enough to be rabbit-resistance in one year, I might have to grow them in pots for two years before I plant them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update: As per the google, I am currently soaking 18 seeds for a day or two. After that, into the egg crates they go.
Which brings me to another question. Do I just place the seeds right on top of the soil, or do a bury them some amount?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rabbits will strip bark from young trees, you can get plastic spirals that simply wind around the tree and protect it, or make a cylinder of wire mesh to go around it, but that will be a few years away, they grow quite slowly.
Google tells me to put seed on the surface after soaking for 24 hours, then firm down to get them well in contact with the soil without burying them. They say pot on "After a while when they are a few inches tall", not too definite, I always take 'a few' to be three or more, but less than six, (that's half a dozen or so, next indefinite number up). I usually go by the root growth to decide on re-potting, if they have reached the limit of the container give them a bigger one.
There is an American fungal disease of sycamore that affects them. It arrived in the South of France during WWII and is working it's way North, but still has not crossed the channel yet.
This definitely one for the future, the oldest trees were planted back in the 1600's, and there is no real information on how long they live because they don't seem to have died of old age yet; oh yes, and I expect you know they can make 40 meters, (130 feet), so pick where you put them, though that shouldn't be your problem :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I soaked my seeds for two days, then I put them on top of some potting soil in these egg crates. I've been keeping the soil moist.

How long does it take to start sprouting?

Do I have to keep it in the sunlight NOW? Or do I only need to do that once they start growing and show some green?

Attachments

• IMG_8163.jpg
    IMG_8163.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Indirect light is OK for now.

Germinating and Planting Plane Tree Seeds:

Use lots of seeds per seed hole, as germination rates can be very low.
Soak in water for about 24-48 hours, then sow them in cold frames or indoor seed trays. Keep the soil moist, using a plastic cover for humidity, if necessary.

Keep in indirect light. You should see germination within 2-4 weeks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I only did one seed per slot but thats why I filled all 18 slots. I do NOT actually want 18 trees.
So I guess I'm on schedule and just need to wait them out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Germination of this species' seeds can be as low as 1 percent to ten percent, unless the seeds are very freshly harvested. If you get ten percent germination, that is 1 or 2 trees. If your seeds have less than 5 percent germination, you may not get any seedlings.

If your seeds are very freshly harvested, you might get 9-18 seedlings.

We'll see :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update: It's been a little over 2 weeks, nothing yet.
Hopefully any day now *fingers crossed*

EDIT: I guess it's been over 3 weeks. It's not looking good :(

trees.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another week, and still nothing x 18. Is it time to give up, or is there still a chance some might sprout? I don't know the exact date I started but based on messages here, its been more than 4 weeks, less than 5 weeks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Still absolutely nothing. I officially gave up on the trees today, and dropped 18 sunflower seeds into the dirt. Those tree seeds lost their chance! Hopefully these grow, I have lots of plates I want to plant them.

Ask a Question