Tiny Trees Growing in Shrub

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've lived in my current house for around 6 years now and every year i get tiny trees growing in my front shrubs. At least, that's what i assume they are. Some of them are like little pine trees or something similar, but last year and now this year i've had what look like little maple and oak trees popping up? Normally i just pull them out or snip them as i notice them and they don't come back (until the next year that is) but i had an odd question - would it be possible to take them out and re plant them somewhere else WITHOUT digging for the roots (since they're growing literally in the middle of one of my shrubs there's no way to actually get to the roots)? I'm mostly interested in doing this with the maple and oak ones....

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
These new trees could be self-seeded or off-shoots from a bigger tree. If you could pull them out with roots intact, that means they are self-seeded and of course, you can replant them somewhere else where conditions are similar. If it is attached to some bigger roots, you could take a bit of the root material and replant the whole offshoot in a pot initially to give it a protective environment and when more roots come out or can be seen from the bottom of the pots, you can replant it.

I often have roots throwing up bitter cherries on my border! I remove them as much as I can. Bitter cherries are no good for me.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I have tree seedlings growing up every year in my pots and in borders, I've been potting them up and growing them on to plant in the small wood close by.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any wood stem plant that has its leaves cut off the top, will not be able to process photosynthesis and will die. That goes for pecan, maple, oak, and any other wood tree. You don't even have to pull them up by the roots because after cutting the top off they are goners.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Any wood stem plant that has its leaves cut off the top, will not be able to process photosynthesis and will die. That goes for pecan, maple, oak, and any other wood tree. You don't even have to pull them up by the roots because after cutting the top off they are goners.
Not poplar trees, a wood close by those trees were cut down and they started to grow again.
What about tree saplings that's a couple of years old?, a neighbour has one close to his house, i told him that he should get rid of the roots as well.

Ask a Question