Growing Spanish Lavender

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I've made a couple of Lavender efforts recently and one is finally going places. There were different issue with the prior efforts including user malfunction. I got 10 out of 12 :)I think this is also the most successful effort using those little Jiffy pellets. I do need to work on my pictures.

• Put seeds in soil in tray then tray went into the refrigerator for about 35 days or so.
  • Then put them on a shelf, dome on, with a light on timer in the house.
  • In about 2 weeks they germinated. Left as is. Keeping the soil medium moist.
  • About 3 more weeks week or so, about half the time with the dome off and more frequent watering.
  • Time to transplant. Oh and I removed all the netting.
  • I used 3 different soils, standard potting mix, a modestly coarse potting mix and a very light and course mix.
  • They are now in the greenhouse.

Funny thing is in reading up on Lavender, most just recommend buying or propagating from cuttings. It was a fun exercise and it gave me some stratification confidence. Who knows, some might make it to the next size pot up (y)

20180106_123911.jpg

20180106_124812.jpg

20180106_124822.jpg

20180106_135103.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Once I had a lamb dish cooked with lavender. My culinary sensibilities were exposed as coarse and crude because of that experience. I became and still am a great fan of lavender, but most assuredly favor those stove capable forms of the plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Spanish Lavender (Lavandula stoechas) is one of the finest lavenders for floral display in the garden, as the topknot of 'rabbit ear' bracts provides much additional color. Though known as Spanish Lavender, Lavandula stoechas ssp. stoechas occurs in coastal scrubland from one end of the Mediterranean to the other, including southern Europe, northwestern Africa, Anatolia, the Levant, and most Mediterranean islands. However, there is another very similar subspecies L. stoechas ssp. luisieri that is endemic to Portugal and western Spain. In addition, there are two other similar species: Lavandula pedunculata which occurs in Morocco, Portugal, Spain and quite disjunctly in western Anatolia; and the very distinctive Green Lavender (Lavandula viridis), a narrow endemic to the Algarve of southern Portugal and southwestern Spain. Many garden cultivars of Spanish Lavender are actually hybrids of these three species.

Ask a Question