Growing Popcorn Microgreens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4.jpg

The greens can be harvested when the shoots are 4-5 inches high. The stem and shoots are both edible.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The next morning, shoots are growing from all of the stems which appear small at first but grow quickly throughout the day.

5.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6.jpg

When cut above the stem using a harvesting knife, the green which grows from it can be regrown. The second shoot will not be as nutritious or as sweet as the first harvest. It is also better to harvest the entire plant as the stem contains many of the nutrients in the microgreen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many of the greens are almost at their ideal harvesting size (4-5 inches) 24 hours later. They should be allowed to grow to this length, because at that size they are at the peak of their sweetness and have substantial chlorophyll.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would definitely eat that. Mixed with some other sprouts like bean and chia drizzled with some olive oil it would be a super food for the body.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would definitely eat that. Mixed with some other sprouts like bean and chia drizzled with some olive oil it would be a super food for the body.

Its chlorophyll creates an energy boost and also detoxifies the blood because of the similar composition of the chemicals. The shoots can also be juiced using either an electric masticating juicer or a manual juicer designed for wheatgrass (a lot of juice can be extracted from these). It seems that the vitamin concentration of some of these greens is higher when they are grown hydroponically rather than using soil, I think this may be because the roots can absorb the nutrients more easily from water than the solid elements in soil / compost.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, thats so cool. Thanks for sharing that friend. I can have greens anytime.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Insert a handful of the shoots (including the stem) into a juicer and you will extract a sweet drink which has an even more intense taste than when they are eaten. As with all greens, a manual (hand) juicer extracts more from popcorn shoots than an electric juicer.

untitled-3.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was googling some mini green houses, but ended up clicking on microgreens, which I never heard of. I then watched some videos and then did a search here in the gardening forum. Found this thread, and wanted to add this this video to share:

Ask a Question