Growing peanuts indoors

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please forgive me, as I am new to gardening. But I've planted in a window container, 3 peanuts. These are the kind I used: Tennessee Red Peanut Seeds, 20 Peanut Seeds Per Packet, Non GMO Seeds, (Arachis hypogaea), Isla's Garden Seeds.
I used this soil: Jiffy Natural & Organic Seed Starting Mix. Most of everything else I planted around the same time, has begun to germinate. I am even wondering if I truly did plant something in this container.... Do they take longer to germinate? Did I do something wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

What is the temperature of your germination trays? Do you use a heat mat?
It is always possible that the seed is not vialble. Test the seed viability using damp papertowels or a similar method.
This can give you a germination percentage for your seeds, though as you only have 20 seeds in total, you will estimate this.
If any seeds germinate on the damp towels, you can then immediately pot them up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If any seeds germinate on the damp towels, you can then immediately pot them up.
The watch word being 'immediately', as soon as they make any growth the fine roots will embed in the paper, and they are so easy to damage. A plastic tub, like an old spread tub, with a lid and paper in the bottom put somewhere warm is just right for holding humidity at a good level. Check it daily. It is what I use to try out old seed I am unsure of.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

What is the temperature of your germination trays? Do you use a heat mat?
It is always possible that the seed is not vialble. Test the seed viability using damp papertowels or a similar method.
This can give you a germination percentage for your seeds, though as you only have 20 seeds in total, you will estimate this.
Great, thank you! Will give this a go.
I am not familiar with a heat mat. I've heard of them. What is their purpose? Is it just to make them germinate more quickly?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some seeds either won't germinate or will do so slowly and irregularly until soil temperatures reach a certain threshold.
Heat mats are intended to warm the soil. Heat mats can also be useful if you are striking cuttings.

Ask a Question