Growing corn in raised bed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! This last growing season I raised corn on a sister patch and it did pretty well. There was a nice amount of corn, considering I had a lot of rain and my sister patch had poor drainage, I was able to get some pumpkin, corn, and of course beans! Now, this growing season since we will be fixing the drainage issue and for crop rotation purposes, I am planting corn seedlings in a 8x4 raised bed. I am starting the seeds indoors and transplanting out when it’s time. Has anyone ever tried this method before? I was wondering g if I had to build mounds or since I am using a raised bed that isn’t necessary. Any tips and/or advice is well appreciated here.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just plant the seedlings close together, 8-12 inches apart. Being 4 feet wide you can approach the plants from both sides so you will not need row spacing. Corn is a grass and likes a lot of nitrogen.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
There should be no need to plant on mounds in a raised bed.

Do plant in a block rather than a row to enhance pollination. For a small planting always do what you can with a paintbrush to distribute to pollen as evenly as possible, especially onto the plants on the upwind side of the bed.

Corn germinates rather quickly, so sowing in January may be too early, unless you intend to grow some rather large transplants indoors.

Ask a Question