Growing lettuce from cuttings

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi , im lookin for tips on growong lettuce from cuttings, i mean after you cut all the leafy part and leave the base. Ihave had very low succaes..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would be much more simple to sow a few seeds, they don`t regrow in the same way as cabbage.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If buying lettuce in the store that was Aquaponically grown and has the roots you can set the plant in a bowl of water in the frig and harvest the exterior leaves. Setting the bowl/glass on a sunny window and the plant will continue to grow from the center. Getting roots to form from a cut bottom can happen but it would need sun, warmth and moisture with no chemical treatments on its way to market. It can be fun to experiment with lettuce and celery hearts but it is more of a way of extending “shelf life” and having a fun curiosity than “growing food”.

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Warmth? Are you sure? I kinda feel its to hot here and thats why they rot.. what trmp do you think will be good?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Warmth? Are you sure? I kinda feel its to hot here and thats why they rot.. what trmp do you think will be good?
Sorry, I live in a very temperate climate and can’t grow many warm climate plants. Also need heat mats to start some seeds, etc. You are right, you need to find the coolest areas of your home to get propagation of lettuce.
Here’s what I found on lettuce seed....so I’m guessing around 20C. Pay attention to night temperatures also.

”Germination temperature: 40 F to 85 F (5-30C)— Seed can go dormant at high temperatures. Best germination is below 70 F. Days to emergence: 7 to 14 - Germinates in about a week at 50 F, 2 days at 70 F.”

Heres the site for your best guess with the information provided. http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/homegardening/scene9aa6.html

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You are quicker and easier to buy some cheap lettuce seeds, (I recommend Paris Island Cos) & start again.
Since you get a lot of heat, sow them in the shade,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Everyone am new here, I grow lettuce indoors all year from cutting I live in Buffalo NY I grow them in kratky method with a masterblend solution in it about 2 weeks they are about 4 inches.
buffalogrowingplants.com lettuce.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Easy to do:
cut 2" bottom of your lettuce
mix nutrients either Dyno-Gro 7-9-5 (mix 5ml per one gallon and your PH should be around 6.10) or masterblend.
use a rockwool in a nestcup as you can see in my video, fill your container just to touch the rockwool and that all, in a week or so you will see new leaves popping out. I grow this on my porch temp is 67 deg, 48% Humidity and under grow lights as shown on pictures with a timer for 12 Hours. Here is the video Scrap Lettuce video also am growing tomatoes, small cucumbers, cilantro, beans same system the tomatoes really took off and looking great there is video of them on my channel here is the link My Channel. Let me know if you have any question I be happy to answer. Stay Safe.

Attachments

• lettuce on light.jpg
    lettuce on light.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm now growing celery from cuttings and I may do that with a head of lettuce I have in the fridge. However, I'm also growing carrots from cuttings, mostly just so the butterflies have a host plant.

Ask a Question