Growing Lettuce from Store Bought

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to grow lettuce from what they bought at the store? Were you successful? I used the bottom of the lettuce bunch from some romaine that I bought at the store and I was surprised that it started growing leaves in a few days. However, the example that I learned from says to plant it in soil after the roots start growing. After I did this, it seems like the rate of growth slowed. I tried seeing what would happen if I left it in water and used a mason jar like an example I saw on Pinterest. It seems like the lettuce is happier. Has anyone harvested lettuce grown from either method? Another interesting thing that happened in my lettuce adventure is I cut one bottom in half horizontally because it seemed very thick, and I was able to root both ends, giving me two heads from one!

Reaction score
I've seen other post here and on other sites about doing it although I have not done it myself. When plants are rooted in water and then are moved to a growing medium they will slow up for a bit until they settle in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've tried this as well. You either start to see leaves right away or the lettuce "melts" into an icky mess. The problem is that with lettuce you can cut it and it will grow back two or three times. That means that what we get at the grocery store has already been through that cycle. You should try growing some from seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Well, not necessarily a lettuce. But, I did try it on onion leeks. I was successful at first. After a week, new leaves were sprouting. It was crazy! Sadly, because I was told to replant it, I did. It died after a few days. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I tried it on carrot tops;) Of course I didn't manage to grow a new carrot this way. All they developed were tiny, green leaves that looked really adorable. As far as I know, they're edible, but I didn't eat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've never tried lettuce, although I thought about replanting the "live" lettuce you can buy. I have regrown onion, mango, and peppers that I bought from the store before. We are about to attempt avocado. We have 4 seeds so far.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried this before and I was unsuccessful. Though I had seen my grandmother successfully plant portions of lettuce and they would begin to grow rather quickly. I guess it wasn't mean to be for me.

Ask a Question