Growing rosemary

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Can anyone help me with this rosemary plant I got yesterday from my mom? Poor fella isn't looking that great.

20201230_090702.jpg

We're at the beginning of summer where I'm from (south hemisphere) and I've placed it on a window that gets a decent amount of sunlight. I was planning on pruning 1/3 of it according to what I've seen is recommended on the internet. Anything else I could do? Sorry if this questions are a bit elemental, I'm very new to this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Not an elemental question at all, but a good one. Rosemary is very hardy, and this one would respond to a nice pruning. Is there any way you can plant it outside, directly in the ground rather than in a pot? In-ground rosemary has survived winters in upstate New York, and the climate here in central Texas.
Let us know how it grows!

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Hey, thanks for the reply! Sadly I won't be able to plant it in the ground since I live in an apartment but I may move it to a bigger pot and put it on the balcony (it's currently sitting on my window).

I'll let you know once it starts growing!

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rosemary comes from around the Mediterranean, so will take hot dry summers and cold winters. However it does require well drained soil and hates wet roots in winter. So don't overwater in winter and use a compost with about 50% horticultural grit in it.
I'd holdback on pruning until it was showing signs of new growth.

Ask a Question