Growing Fruit Trees in Containers

Reaction score
My fiance and I have always discussed how much we would love to have fruit trees - but as I'm sure most of your understand, we simply do not have the space for it. I recently came across a post on Facebook that claimed that fruit trees can survive and flourish well in containers. Obviously I do not expect them to become full grown trees, but am hoping for more a bush feel. I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with this and how it turned out? Do you think the lack of root space would impact the development of the fruit?

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
In many cases no a lack for root space will not impact the development of the fruit, it can limit how much is produced. Keep in mind were taking about fruit or specific varieties of fruit that are appropriate for containers, not all will grow well in containers. Also were not talking 1 gallon containers either. It looks like your in Canada and climate could certainly influence what you can grow,

"For folks who want to grow their own fruit, but who don't have adequate space or a suitable climate, growing fruit in containers offers several opportunities. Cherries, peaches, figs, apples, tangerines, lemons, and limes are among the many types of fruit trees that thrive in containers. And, you can grow them in just about any region of the country. Of course, container-grown fruit trees produce fewer fruit than full-grown trees."

http://www.garden.org/subchannels/landscaping/containers?q=show&id=99

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just saw a commercial of a lemon tree grown in a container in a living room! You would be able to keep a small tree for a few years, but what will happen to it when it gets bigger? You might have to sell it on craigslist or have difficulties getting it out nd it will be so sad because you put so much effort into it.

Ask a Question