Growing Fruit Trees

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with growing fruit trees? This is something I haven't gotten into yet but like to eventually do. Curious to know how long typically until you start seeing fruit? I know some trees are different than others... Avocados are so expensive in the store (a dollar or more a piece) would love to have an avocado tree to save some money!

Reaction score
My Mother in law had an avocado tree: it was HUGE! You might consider a dwarf avocado tree, just so you do not have to climb a ladder every few days when the tree is bearing!

Most dwarf fruit trees bear in two or three years. I THINK that dwarf avocado trees will bear that soon also, but I am not sure as I have never actually known anybody who had one. I just know that I would not want to climb a very tall ladder for a few fruits at a time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have an old appletree in my garden. It has been there ever since I remember and every year, it produces a lot of yummy apples. It's really easy to grow, all that you have to do is to prune it from time to time.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd consider a dwarfing root stock if I were to plant any new fruit trees, saves a lot of hassle later.

Reaction score
My Mother in law had an avocado tree: it was HUGE! You might consider a dwarf avocado tree, just so you do not have to climb a ladder every few days when the tree is bearing!

Avocado trees are easy to climb! (Well, they were when I was a kid anyway ;)

I grew a nice little avocado tree from a pit, but moved long before it was near bearing fruit. It was two years old when I left and the guy at my local garden center told me it would be at least another four or five years minimum.

Reaction score

Most dwarf fruit trees bear in two or three years. I THINK that dwarf avocado trees will bear that soon also, but I am not sure as I have never actually known anybody who had one. I just know that I would not want to climb a very tall ladder for a few fruits at a time!

Wow, it takes that long until they begin to bear fruit? Yeah, a dwarf tree is a good idea less maintenance.

Reaction score
I was wondering if you need to have more than one apple tree to produce fruit? I was thinking of a red delicious and a yellow one. I don't know how it works with fruit trees, I know the bees do most of the work, but I thought the yield may be better if you have more than one tree to help with the pollination? I don't currently have any fruit trees, but I have been really wanting to plant some apple trees.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if you need to have more than one apple tree to produce fruit? I was thinking of a red delicious and a yellow one. I don't know how it works with fruit trees, I know the bees do most of the work, but I thought the yield may be better if you have more than one tree to help with the pollination? I don't currently have any fruit trees, but I have been really wanting to plant some apple trees.:)
You may want to look at "family" apple trees.

Some apple trees are self-fertile, and will give you something of a crop without cross-pollination, but all are better cross-pollinated.

There are four apple pollenation groups, A B C & D and, very simply, each will pollinate another apple of its own group and one in the group either side, so A will pollinate A & B; B will pollinate A B & C, C will pollinate B C & D, and D will pollinate C & D.

Some apples, such as Bramleys, are triploids, which means they need pollinated by two other apples or by a self fertile one.
So why would anyone want that?
Well, the apples tend to be bigger, the trees more vigorous, you get a bigger crop, and the trees are more disease resistant.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. That certainly is a lot of information to digest. It seems you have some experience there, and I am still learning about this, but I think I will try to have more than one variety, as it sound like the thing to do, and better crops will be the result which is what we are looking for. I would like to look into different varieties as well, but DH is set on Golden Delicious, so that is a must.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
Wow, I didn't know most apple trees needed to be cross-pollinated. I wonder if the kind I want to grow will need a partner. Unfortunately for me, I don't have a local nursery, so I'm sort of flying by my lonesome. Do avocados and citrus plants need the same?

Ask a Question