Growing Chia in the UK

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
United Kingdom
I do hope I'm posting this in the right place as I'm not entirely convinced the Chia fits into the vegetable category.

I grew some plants this year for the first time but to date they haven't shown any sign of flowering. With frost forecast in the coming week or so I guess there's no chance of them doing so now alas. They did get to about two feet six tall though and are strong sturdy plants. I'm tempted to dig up a couple of the biggest and move them to the greenhouse and see if they'll overwinter.

Has anyone tried growing them and been successful?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've not tried it myself but I'd be very interested to hear how you get one! Chia seeds are so expensive, it would be interesting to know how well it can be grown in the UK.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have grown Chia (Salvia hispanica) on several occasions, most recently this past year, 2021. Seed was germinated in large containers in Spring, probably emerging about March or April. By Autumn. several had become five or six feet tall or wide, as one plant grew mostly sideways along the ground. In October, the plants began to flower well, attractive blue flower, not large but plentifully produced. In December, the plants began to decline in cold weather and were cut down to near soil level. There were many dried flower heads, but I didn't notice much seed being produced. Lesser Goldfinches (Spinus psaltria, formerly Cardeulis psaltria) were common in the late Fall and may have ate any seed that developed.

Ask a Question