Growing celery from kitchen scraps

Reaction score
I'm sure many of you have heard that you can grow more celery from the base of the celery you used to make dinner. A few days ago, I decided to give it a shot. I don't know why I was so skeptical or why I have never tried it before.

I set the base in a shallow cup of water and placed it on the back porch windowsill. There are already a few new leaves! I guess it's a waiting game at this point to see if becomes something I can actually plant.

Have any of you had any success? Do you have any tips?

Reaction score
I've never tried it, but I've seen posts on my social networks that say you can do this with other kitchen scraps too. I wonder if the new shoots growing aren't just really small shoots that were there to begin with that are just getting bigger? In that case, I guess it's more about making your celery as efficient as possible (by maturing baby stalks), rather than growing an entirely new plant. Let us know how it progresses!

Reaction score
I will keep everyone posted on whether or not this works.

I know some things do grow again: potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, pineapples.... Celery just seems too finicky for this to work. Time will tell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have read about doing this, but I haven't tried it with celery. Now that I am reading this; I will try doing it. I did try growing carrot tops but they didn't really grow, so maybe got some that had been cut off too far. From what I read, carrots produce blossoms and go to seed the second year; so growing the carrot tops is a good way to get your own carrot seeds.
I have started sweet potatoes, and they make a beautiful vine, and look great when you have several of them in a hanging basket.
Onions are wonderful to re-grow. I get the bunches of green onions from the store, use the green tops, and then planted the white bottoms. They started growing right away, and I just snipped off the green shoots whenever I needed green onions for salads or something similar.

Reaction score
I've grown celery, scallions, leeks, cabbage and Romaine lettuce from scraps, but I didn't plant them, I used them to cook with.
If you keep snipping and using scallions, they'll grow back 3 more times before they're completely used up.

Reaction score
I have never tried something like this, but is very well know that is possible to create new plants with the kitchen scraps of some vegetables. I think you can also do it with carrots, but I know for sure you can do this with potatoes and onions.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I have started sweet potatoes, and they make a beautiful vine, and look great when you have several of them in a hanging basket.
Onions are wonderful to re-grow. I get the bunches of green onions from the store, use the green tops, and then planted the white bottoms. They started growing right away, and I just snipped off the green shoots whenever I needed green onions for salads or something similar.
You're lucky that you can find sweet potatoes that can sprout. It seems as if so many of the sweet potatoes around here have been treated so that they don't sprout. I'd love to grow the vines "by scratch" and I think that the mark-up that is on pre-grown ornamental plants is a bit much.

On the other hand, I've had success with growing onions from the bases of green onions. I've grown garlic from cloves found in bulbs of grocery store-bought garlic, too.

As for growing celery and carrots from scraps, I like growing leaves from the scraps, but I've gotten the impression that you can't grow full-sized plants from these if you're container gardening. Am I correct about this?

Reaction score
I did give a try and the celery started growing, I put it in container with soil but somehow it started dying. Not sure what happened :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thanks for the link, I'll see if I can find some answers to my questions on that thread. It's over 2 years old so maybe she posted updates :) This celery is coming along nicely.
Haha, sorry, I didn't notice that that thread is so old!:p I remember when it was started. Time passes too quickly! I still feel I'm new to this forum, lol:LOL:
Anyway, I really want to start growing vegetables from kitchen scraps. I plan to do it with carrots, because their green leaves look very pretty:)

Reaction score
I remember going over to a friend's house and he was trying this experiment, but with food coloring in the water. I tried it about 2 times myself, but the celery just started rotting, so I haven't tried it since. It's great to see it working for a lot of people. I might just give it another try.

Reaction score
My celery has plenty of nice leaves and good looking stalks that are approximately 3 inches tall now. I still haven't transplanted it. All I do is watch the water level and add to it as needed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have tried it. I just put the root part in a glass or plastic jar and fill it halfway with water (the water needs to be changed every 2-3 days or it will become slimy and smell bad). Place the jar in the windowsill and you can watch it grow over time.

We homeschool my little brothers, and we originally did this as a science experiment. It works!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's really interesting, I've never heard of doing this. Thanks for tip. Did you ever transplant it? Did it actually produce edible celery? I love propagating new plants, it's always amazing to me that I can create new life.

Ask a Question