Growing celery

Reaction score
I was looking on Pinterest this morning and came across this:

1227cd2ab0d400f10a03b991f933698c.jpg

The pinner said they grew roots and she transplanted it. How cool! I normally stick to just flowers, but have been slowly branching out into herbs and vegetables. This looks super easy. I'd love to hear if anyone here has tried this and had success.

Reaction score
I have read that celery is very easy to grow, just put the bottom part about two inches below soil and water. I would love to try it too!

Reaction score
I'm intrigued! I have some celery soaking right now, but hadn't thought about the green onions. I will definitely have to try that. I love the idea of renewable food :) I've thought about looking into Hydroponics, and might have to give it a whirl. I need veggies I can grow indoors as it's just to hot outside for them to survive.

Reaction score
The article I saw (and I think it was on Pintrest too) about second harvests was about lettuces. The pictures they showed were of a Romaine. I have been planning to try this, but just haven't got to it yet. It looks like a neat way to get more from your veggies. Being greedy like I am sometimes, I was a little disappointed that after ten days you only got enough for one more small salad. On the other hand, one more small salad is more than you get by throwing the cores away immediately, so that's a gain. The article didn't discuss whether you can do this again, but I'm going to say from the pictures, probably not. The core section looked a bit brown and slimy by the time the second batch of leaves was ready to harvest.

Reaction score
LOL Trace! I think that's what I'm going to be frustrated about..."What? It only grew one little celery?". We're so spoiled :) BUT , like you said, it's better than nothing. I've had my celery in water for a few days, and nothing so far. See, I'm so impatient! I'll give it a few weeks and see. I don't often buy lettuce, so I probably won't be trying that one. If you do, post a picture, I'd love to see it.

Reaction score
LOL Trace! I think that's what I'm going to be frustrated about..."What? It only grew one little celery?". We're so spoiled :) BUT , like you said, it's better than nothing. I've had my celery in water for a few days, and nothing so far. See, I'm so impatient! I'll give it a few weeks and see. I don't often buy lettuce, so I probably won't be trying that one. If you do, post a picture, I'd love to see it.

Hmm. How many days is "a few?" Most of what I've seen on this process says that the new growth should start to sprout in two to five days. But again, that's lettuces, and they may be different. I've never even thought to grow celery because it seemed beyond my meager skill level and the time I can commit to my gardening endeavors.

Reaction score
It might be better to show you. Here's a top and bottom view of my celery. It is growing a bit, I can see the beginning of roots (very tiny, but they're there!):

CeleryTop.jpg
CeleryBottom.jpg

Reaction score
Yes there are a few things you can do this with, you can plant garlic cloves too. I have not tried it with celery but I remember reading about it. From what I heard it is quite simple and you should plant it in the soil. I also seem to remember hearing that celery prefers cooler weather over the heat.

I had read a great blog post about it a while back but cannot find it now - I stumbled upon it and cannot remember the name of the site.

Reaction score
Wow! That looks like an awesome way to make use of what would otherwise be "scraps." Although it might not seem much to ya'll, I would be super excited if I saw celery growing like this on my countertop! In fact, I am going to start it this evening because I'm planning on cooking celery with beef for dinner tonight. I will let ya'll know how it goes...cross your fingers for this newbie, and thanks so much for the really cool idea! ;)

Reaction score
I saw that in Pinterest too. I actually started some from seed this year, it is growing so slow. I take a short cut on the celery. I love Pinterest .

Ask a Question