Growing bell peppers at home

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Free seeds? I have taken the seeds from dried mexican peppers in a lot of varieties and started them. Sometimes it does not work as if they microwaved them or some sterilizing occured.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Free seeds? I have taken the seeds from dried mexican peppers in a lot of varieties and started them. Sometimes it does not work as if they microwaved them or some sterilizing occured.
Maybe because they picked them too green or overheated them in the dehydrating process which killed the seed.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I find the same thing. I use different peppers almost daily in foods I make and I've never had luck sprouting seeds from dried peppers I purchase. But if I buy fresh peppers they seem to sprout. Last year I purchased some dried Carolina Reapers and had hope of growing some from the seeds but they didn't sprout, I was disappointed. Probably for the best though because at over 2 million on the Scoville heat scale my body would hate me lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wondering about Hybrids as far as seed?

big rockpile
Hybrid wont come back true. It will produce a plant but it may not have desireable traits and the next seeds that come from that plant may be willy wonka too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OK I'm thinking of selling to Tourist next Spring do I want to try Heirloom instead or stay with Hybrids.
Selling seeds? If yes then heirlooms and you don't want them to cross pollinate with some other variety or you get a hybrid seed.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Rather than use store bought peppers which are not likely to be organic and also likely to be hybrid, purchase heirloom plant varieties from a reliable source, raise your own peppers, and then save the seeds for next time. Each generation the seeds saved this way will become more and more adapted to your local growing conditions. Works for me!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually during the Summer I can get extra vegetables from the Mennonites.

Going to sell Campfire Wood, different Embroidery things and Eggs and such.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rather than use store bought peppers which are not likely to be organic and also likely to be hybrid, purchase heirloom plant varieties from a reliable source, raise your own peppers, and then save the seeds for next time. Each generation the seeds saved this way will become more and more adapted to your local growing conditions. Works for me!
Live close to Mansfield and that is all that Baker Creek deals with is Heirloom.

big rockpile

Ask a Question