Growing a banana tree indoors

Reaction score
Would it be possible to grow a nice banana tree indoors in a pot? I don't really have a garden plus I live in the northern Europe, so I'm not enjoying the warm weather around the year.
I don't really care about the bananas themselves as the tree itself is beautiful too :)
I would like to hear about your experiences!

Reaction score
As long as you have enough light you can grow a banana plant indoors. Banana plants can grow rather large so make sure its in a pot that can handle all the roots. Plant your banana tree in soil that drains well and give it at least 10-12 hours of bright light daily.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Banana trees are huge - they grow fast! And you'll need a huge container too. I've heard that they like to be sprayed daily. Put the tree in a warm and light place, it should be okay:)

Reaction score
Yes, I agree that banana tree grows fast and reaches about ten feet in height. It doesn't have much of roots, but has a huge tuber like thing from which it grows. Your pot needs to be real big and your light bright and strong.
Too much watering could make it rot. The soil needs to be well drained.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Obviously I can't use the seeds from my ordinary store-bought bananas so I have to take a look on ebay for example.
I'm already thrilled about this :D

Containers are not a problem, as my friend is a potter so I just get one huge from her. :)
Maybe an another one if the first plant succeeds...

Reaction score
I have never seen a banana tree so that is something that I am going to have to go look for. It would be awesome to have a banana tree or any type of fruit true. If I had the room I would have all kinds of fruit trees, vegetables, and plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There are different kinds of banana plants so maybe what you need is one that doesn't get very tall that will also do well indoors. Maybe you can check with a local nursery; a lot of commercial spaces have banana palms indoors; they have to get them from somewhere.

Reaction score
I would love to see pictures if your banana plant is successful. It would be brilliant to be able to pick fresh bananas to eat. Of course, an indoor plant will probably never grow fruit but it's nice to imagine. I agree with ChanellG that it will be easier to grow a plant that is already established rather than trying to grow from seed.

Reaction score
I think those bananas would just taste bitter with my luck :)
Ahhhh, Ebay is great when looking for seeds. I will get some soon.

Reaction score
I have had dwarf banana trees for years. I set them outside in the summer and inside in the winter. As long as they have light they will be ok but they won't grow much inside if you do not have lots of direct light. This is how I keep mine small enough to manage because they can get really big. I started out with 1 tree and have sold over 25 trees due to splitting off the pups. They adapt pretty easily to your way of doing things like watering times. I know someone who waters hers everyday where I just water once a week. Her's is also in a greenhouse with lots of light and consistent temperatures all year around. It is really big. I don't want mine that big so the light from the window in the winter is enough to keep it happy but not too happy. In the summer it grows because it is outside with full sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have had dwarf banana trees for years. I set them outside in the summer and inside in the winter...

Did you get any fruit from them or were they just decorative? A banana tree in a large trash can could probably survive next to a large window, but it would likely have to be fed a lot in order to get it to produce fruit. Bananas in containers would constantly have to be thinned out also.

Reaction score
When I first got them and gave them the proper light all the time I got a couple tiny bananas. Since I don't give them lots of light all year around I haven't gotten any. They survive just fine by a window because that is all I do in the winter which is not great light like you would get in the summer. The tree typical dies after if fruits which is why it grow pups to replace it. You do have to split off pups or you get way too much in the pot after time. If your like me you can't just throw the pup away and you have to pot it and end up with multiple trees over time. I finally sold off most of mine.

Reaction score
Eh, by the north of Europe re you talking about Norway, Sweden or Finland? You guys don't get enough light during the summer, but I guess something could be done if you really wanted it. I'd not count on the light from the sun tho, since over there is so scarce.

Reaction score
Banana trees grows really fast and big. So make sure that you have enough space in the pot and the house before you plant the seeds.

Ask a Question