Growing a banana tree indoors

Reaction score
Would it be possible to grow a nice banana tree indoors in a pot? I don't really have a garden plus I live in the northern Europe, so I'm not enjoying the warm weather around the year.
I don't really care about the bananas themselves as the tree itself is beautiful too :)
I would like to hear about your experiences!
I once grew a banana tree and had great success with it. I live in a climate which would never permit me to leave a banana tree out year round, but it did wonderfully indoors until warm weather. It got very large, so plan to allow it plenty of space. My success with the tree ended when I put it outdoors during the warm months and the large leaves got badly damaged by the wind in a storm. I would love to try growing another one. I think I would just plan on keeping it indoors in a very large pot in a room with plenty of space and sunshine.

Reaction score
Yes it would be very possible to grow a banana tree indoors and it looks like fun. I did do some planting outside before and also grew some plants inside but not fruits. I want to grow bananas in the house and one day I'll give it a try when I have more room.

Reaction score
Definitely count me in with the people who would like to see a picture of your banana tree. I thought about growing one but I don't think the climate around here would allow for that. Also, it's probably too much of a hassle. Rather just throw down the $1 or $2 that I spend on bananas weekly.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Would it be possible to grow a nice banana tree indoors in a pot? I don't really have a garden plus I live in the northern Europe, so I'm not enjoying the warm weather around the year.
I don't really care about the bananas themselves as the tree itself is beautiful too :)
I would like to hear about your experiences!
The banana tree grows really tall and makes a huge mess. We have a few in the garden and the bats love to sit there and make a noise through the night. It is not possible to grow them indoors but you can try a mini orange tree or something that grows small fruits on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I've been to a banana plantation. Bananas are rather tall and spread quite fast. It would be amazing to have one indoors. Wouldn't it be messy though?

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have never thought about growing banana plants indoors. Actually,I don't know whether it can be grown indoors. However, I believe if you have very big post, you can grow banana inside your house. Banana is a shrub but it grows big, the plant can be anything from 2-4 meters. Banana is also one of the fastest growing plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
There is a small commercial center here where I saw some real banana plants inside the reception area that was planted in big clay pots. But it did not last long. Maybe they took it out because the banana is a tropical plant that needs ample sunlight. But if you only care for the tree itself because to you it is a good decoration, there are decorative varieties of banana which are not that big and with slender leaves. I just don't know if it is available in your area.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I have seen some smaller banana trees growing wild were I live but they don't really bare fruit or if they do they are small and never reach maturity. I think that a better option would be a small palm tree, they are very decorative and don't dirty that much.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
I personally think it is possible, but you have to keep in mind that you will have to let your plant receive some sunlight in order to grow up properly, all you need to do is follow the regular process and give it some sun, other than that, you're good to go.

Ask a Question