Greens going to seed while vegetables begin to fruit

Reaction score
This is the time for blueberries! For the last three days I have picked more than 20 berries. Some of them are sweet and some sour.

The middle of June is a transition period in the garden. The greens go to seed, and the vegetables begin to fruit. The lettuce, kales, and collards are not going to seed because they can tolerate a little heat and scorching sun light. However, Radicchio, Onions, Arugula, Spinach, and Radishes bolted several weeks ago and are putting off seeds. Once they dry out naturally, I will collect the seed to plant them for a Fall crop.

Radicchio flowering

The vegetables that are fruiting are pumpkin, tomatoes, and peppers. The melons are flowering of course and vining all over the place.

pumpkin

The Cucumbers, birdhouse gourds, Luffa (or Loofah) plants have yet to flower, but I am working on a trellis structure for them to grow upon. The Birdhouse gourds are growing up a trellis arbor I added onto last night, which you can see below.

I wanted to show you some of the vegetables continuing to grow in the garden, and many of the vegetables that are fruiting. In the pictures below, you'll see Cauliflower making heads, tomatoes turning red, and peppers forming.

The pictures provided are from our main garden. I'm not sure what kind of activity is happening in the other two gardens. Because of the lack of rain, I'm not too sure any plants are fruiting. I have looked at the forecast for this region, which says we'll be getting rain for the next 10 days. I highly expect the squash and beans and early corn to produce in the next week or two.

Original post @ Greens going to seed while vegetables begin to fruit

-Cassie K

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
(n)Very impressive Cassie K. I hope to try harder at veggies!!! The little I do is rewarding so I know I'd get a lot of enjoyment out of a more productive veggie patch as you obviously do!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, those vegetables will be fantastic when it is time for harvesting! You did so well growing them. The only two veggies that I seem to manage are sweet green pepper and green beans.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Your garden is absolutely wonderful, Cassie K!:)
I love blueberries. They're unbelievably delicious. Yesterday, I ate a full plate of fresh strawberries and blueberries:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am speechless with your photos. I have a collection of photos of our garden vegetables but I don't feel like posting them anymore because of your excellent photos. With that blueberry, I seem to taste it even in photo only. And your tomatoes look big unlike our tomatoes here. Your garden veggies are enviable.

Ask a Question