Greensmix Steer Manure Problems

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United States
Last year I bought a lot of Greensmix steer manure/compost from Lowe's. It was great stuff. It had a light, fine texture and was dark brown. I tilled it into soil and also used it under all of the seeds I planted. It held water well and stayed fine textured. It was very nice compost, especially for the price.

I just bought three bags from Lowe's this week. And it is nothing like the stuff I got last year. The current stuff was a light brown and bone dry. It was like the consistency of dust or had large clumps. Also, it had rocks in it. Some fairly large ones. And a lot of them. And chunks of what I could swear was modeling clay. Along with that were chunks of wood. Largeish chunks that looked like they came off of a thick branch.

I figured perhaps it had dried out too much so I mixed in some water. And it became a gloopy mess. Kind of like what would happen if I added water to my clay soil. It also smelled faintly like Windex (presumably ammonia).

Something is definitely wrong. It can't possibly be the same product as years before. There were absolutely no rocks in the stuff in the past.

Has anyone else run into this? If you go to Lowe's I and get some of this stuff I strongly suggest you get just one bag and check it out thoroughly before you use it.

I couldn't find a way to contact the manufacturer. Everyone and their mother's uncle carries it but there doesn't seem to be a website for the actual producer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Purrfluff, if you haven't opened the remaining two bags, take them back to Lowe's and get a refund. If you have opened them, contact Lowe's by e-mail and send a photo if you can, then explain the problem. Rocks? For heaven's sake, one doesn't compost rocks!

I found the manufacturer's website:
http://waupacanorthwoods.com/products.html

Contact them, also if you want.

May I suggest that you go to Home Depot and get Black Kow composted steer manure? I've used it several times and never had a problem with chunks of wood, rocks, or dust.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would say that the manufacturer mixed the bag up between manure and compost, but rocks and clay??? Let Lowe’s know. When I was in business I always appreciated when a customer came to me first when they weren’t happy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathandiaz

Latest Threads