Green Thumb Turned Brown

Reaction score
I don't know what my problem is this season but one of my house plants is not doing so very well. It is driving me crazy. My hubby keeps telling me that I am over watering it but I have one of those pots where you pour the water in the bottom and the plants roots soak up the water as needed.

I am just not feeling up to dealing with plants right now. I guess that could be the problem. I am feeling quite horrible about it though.

Has anyone else ever felt this way?

Reaction score
I did feel that way once. I planted some of those plants we call magic roses in a pot and kind of forgot about it. For the first few days I was very diligent in watering it and taking care of it, but then I became so caught up with other stuff and forgot about them. I felt a little bit horrible and guilty about it, but when I checked it, the plants looked fine.

I guess some people will feel that way at some point. Maybe you need a little break from your plants. A little change in routine and scenery might do the trick. :)

Reaction score
When you have a lot of plants it can seem like too much, especially this time of year. Now you have gardens and yard to worry about. If you talk to your plants go have a chat with it and tell it what is going on with you, I think that the plant will understand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Shellyann36, I have a similar problem!:( Two of my miniature roses died. Another one is turning brown and I'm afraid I won't be able to save it either. I don't know what is going on and I don't know what should I do. I thought that maybe I overwatered them, but now I water them less often and nothing changed. I'm scared of looking at my roses because I worry that the rest of them will die too:cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
There have been years where I skipped the garden because I wasnt feeling it and a few years back I just gave up on it after it was in and growing well. Least I had an excuse that year.. I ended up on crutches. Of course the husband forgets that part and now when I'm expanding things I hear... it will be like that year you just gave up..

Reaction score
Yeah, several plants have died on me in the past, I was just starting to take care of of plants. Now I'm better, but I still have some issues from time to time. Don't worry about it, sometimes this happens and isn't your fault :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am having the same problem, I have a peace plant that has done well for some and and now it looks very sick. I am not over watering it, and I have added new soil to help give the soil more nutrients. This is the first time this has happened to me and it is not making me happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I feel this way sometimes too and it is sad to watch the plants die. If I am feeling the plant blues, I will concentrate my gardening outside as opposed to indoors so that at least nature can help me keep the plants alive.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. My plant is still not doing that great but I am feeling better about it. I am getting some new soil and I am going to repot it with a bit of compost to see if that cheers it up a bit. I am hoping this does the trick.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I am having the same problem, I have a peace plant that has done well for some and and now it looks very sick. I am not over watering it, and I have added new soil to help give the soil more nutrients. This is the first time this has happened to me and it is not making me happy.
Hi ! Same problem with me :( My peace lily was fine and healthy. Lately don't know what happened. Almost whole of the plant turned brown. Maybe that's because I changed it's location. So I again moved it and added new soil too. Hopefully it'll work.

Reaction score
Although you don't say exactly what kind of plant you are having problems with Shellyann36 - I'm think that the reason why it is not doing so well - is because it is actually getting more water than it needs - particularly as you have one of those pots where you pour water in the bottom.

Which brings me to ask - do you let the plant dry out a bit before refilling the bottom of the pot or do always make sure that there is plenty of water in the bottom of the pot ?

In which case if it is the latter - it means that it is probably being over-watered - as most plants will take up all the water they need in less than half an hour and because of that - a plant should never be left sitting in water for longer than that - otherwise it stands the chance of being over watered
- which eventually leads to root rot and the demise of the plant.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My peace lily does not get over watered in fact just the opposite. I am at a lose for why this plant is looking so sickly, the leaves are brown and not growing. It bothers me because this plant was so pretty and now it looks like I don't love it at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hi ! Same problem with me :( My peace lily was fine and healthy. Lately don't know what happened. Almost whole of the plant turned brown. Maybe that's because I changed it's location. So I again moved it and added new soil too. Hopefully it'll work.
I know how you feel, I lost three miniature roses:( It makes me so unhappy! They were very dear to me:( I think I overwatered them:(
I hope your peace lily will get better soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I know how you feel, I lost three miniature roses:( It makes me so unhappy! They were very dear to me:( I think I overwatered them:(
I hope your peace lily will get better soon.
Thank you. Whenever I look at my Peace Lily it just makes me so sad :( It was a very beautiful plant when I bought it. My dad says maybe it's because of the high temperature it's like 40 °C-47 °C here:mad:. If that is the reason, monsoons will be anytime now :D Hopefully it'll be fine. But I am not sure what's the reason :unsure: .I make sure I water in once in a while and always throw away the excess water. Sorry about you roses :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
My peace lily does not get over watered in fact just the opposite. I am at a lose for why this plant is looking so sickly, the leaves are brown and not growing. It bothers me because this plant was so pretty and now it looks like I don't love it at all.
I have a similar problem. The leaves are turning brow but still there's growth:confused:! Sounds crazy, right? :p But that's what exactly happening! The leaves are turning brow but new leaves are growing :) It gives me hope.I water it once in a while and always throw away the excess water. I never water it when the soil's moist though! I hope your peace lily will be better soon.

Ask a Question