Two Thumbs, One Green...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
and the other I’m not too sure about. Hi, I’m new here.

I joined this website because I have a lot of ideas and aspirations—I love green things!—yet I’m a veritable novice at much of it. This is the first time I’ve tried fall crops. And I recently heard something about gardening vegetables in the winter? Maybe I’ll start a thread on that if there’s not one already. Hello everyone! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome!!
By winter gardening do you mean indoors (given your general location?)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome Maggie! We lived in upstate NY, zone 6a or b, depending on the wind direction. We found that planting cool season crops in late August gave us a small but greatly appreciated harvest before frost, and some veggies like broccoli were actually improved by a bit of frost. You can also toss lettuce seed out on snow in February or March, and get an early start on the greens (snow has a lot of nitrogen in it, and green leafys love nitrogen.)
Let us know what you want to plant, and a more specific location (state, climate) so we won't give you information of no use to you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome!!
By winter gardening do you mean indoors (given your general location?)

Yes. I'd like to grow some herbs in my kitchen window. And maybe some lettuce or spinach in another window. What do you think, will that work?

Thanks for the welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome Maggie! We lived in upstate NY, zone 6a or b, depending on the wind direction. We found that planting cool season crops in late August gave us a small but greatly appreciated harvest before frost, and some veggies like broccoli were actually improved by a bit of frost. You can also toss lettuce seed out on snow in February or March, and get an early start on the greens (snow has a lot of nitrogen in it, and green leafys love nitrogen.)
Let us know what you want to plant, and a more specific location (state, climate) so we won't give you information of no use to you.

Lettuce seeds on the snow? Who would have guessed.

Please see my reply to Beth regarding what I'd like to grow in winter. And thanks for the welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes. I'd like to grow some herbs in my kitchen window. And maybe some lettuce or spinach in another window. What do you think, will that work?

Thanks for the welcome!

Sure it will work, as long as you have enough sun. :)

Ask a Question