Grape Vine

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to gardening and was recently given a seedless grape tree/vine. Can I get some initial tips on pruning it? Should I just leave it as is and transplant it?

Capture.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @mu2023 . Although I don't grow grape vines, and am in no way qualified to answer your question, I wanted to welcome you to the forums. Hopefully someone else will come along with all the right answers for you soon. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Can't say this is right but this is what I did.

First year transplant it out of that pot and have the trellis in place where you want the vine to be. Don't prune it now. Make sure one or two of the stems climb up the trellis to where the T forms like you see in the vineyard pics with the long wires of grapes.

Come late in that first winter when it was dormant I pruned mine back to two stems growing up to the wire fence where I want it running.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
re-reading this maybe I needed to add a little, but it was dinner time and tacos were ready...

When you prune it back in late winter you establish the main "trunk" and you'll need to make sure there are a few nodes where the new vines will grow horizontally from. These nodes will be pretty evident but you can search "grape vine nodes" and or just look at where the buds are growing on yours. Each summer the new vines will grow from the nodes you don't prune off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
re-reading this maybe I needed to add a little, but it was dinner time and tacos were ready...

When you prune it back in late winter you establish the main "trunk" and you'll need to make sure there are a few nodes where the new vines will grow horizontally from. These nodes will be pretty evident but you can search "grape vine nodes" and or just look at where the buds are growing on yours. Each summer the new vines will grow from the nodes you don't prune off.

Thank you! I was curious how the main trunk would form since there appear to be 3 potential trunks right now. Appreciate the advice!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello @mu2023 . Although I don't grow grape vines, and am in no way qualified to answer your question, I wanted to welcome you to the forums. Hopefully someone else will come along with all the right answers for you soon. :)
Thanks for the warm welcome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine was well established when I came here, but I prune back to about a third of the main growth mid to late winter. I have built a frame and wires for it to run along that keep it tidy at about three to four foot tall. The previous owner had simply let it run wild and I cut the main stem right back to a three foot high stump, I was afraid I might have killed it, it bled badly, but it has settled down well.

Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wondered if this link might be a help to you. It seems that pruning should happen in the winter as Mr Yan mentioned.

Ask a Question