Grape Vines?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! We recently bought a house which came with beautiful, mature plantings all throughout the yard and a large garden. I'm overwhelmed trying to figure out what all of these plants are and I'd like to learn how to care for them properly and work on the vegetable garden.

In the garden, there appears to be a large, overgrown vine plant growing on a nice trellis structure. Are these grapes? If they are, should I prune them - and if so, how? They look a little neglected. Many more unknown plants, but this is my biggest mystery right now! Thank you! Zone 6

Attachments

• vines.jpg
    vines.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 14
  • vines 2.jpg
    vines 2.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 13
  • vines 3.jpg
    vines 3.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wisteria growing on a wooden structure need a lot of control. It twists around things - including itself - and it will eventually completely crush wooden structures.
Thank you! Keeping in mind that I'm a very novice gardener, should I be okay to just clip it way down while it's dormant? If it dies, I won't be particularly sad. I'd rather use the trellis structure to grow grapes or something else that is food-producing.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
If it dies, consider yourself lucky and not sad for sure. I've been trying for decades to get rid of it from my yard, but it just keeps coming back somewhere.

Ask a Question