Update on my grape vine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.Some of you may remember I inherited a large and unruly grape vine in a large greenhouse. It was growing through the roof struts and shading the entire house, making it useless, and although the grapes (black) were pretty good for English grapes they were nothing spectacular.
Anyway, last winter I cut it back to a stump about two foot six tall, thinking it might kill it, but I had to try something. I built a frame with a couple of horizontal wires about three foot tall, and after watching the end of the stump 'bleed' hugely it started producing shoots which I trained to the frame. Now it has filled the frame, about two meters, by one and I am holding it to that, and I found a couple of bunches of grapes on it. Not exactly Bacchanalian, but it is a start, and I realy thought I might have killed it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground.
Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground.
Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.
Where did you get this saying from?

Ask a Question