Nematode battle update......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It seems that the 2 year nematode AND insect battle to reclaim our 2 main raised beds is FINALLY turning around. After two years of decimated efforts.......we ACTUALLY have a thriving, PRODUCING garden with NO signs of nematodes or bug stings (EVEN ON THE BEANS)........WITHOUT using chemicals. From the fall of last year until this spring I did a massive amount of in-ground composting to boost the attractiveness of the soil to BENEFICIAL nematodes that feed on the bad ones and planted 35 French marigolds throughout the beds as their roots put out a gas that, reportedly, repels the bad nematodes. As far as bug infestation goes, I attribute to the marigolds (dual purpose) and the addition of 7 basil plants. I do believe that we have turned the corner in the battle.
C5CED8A2-1256-4B9B-981F-09B7DBA670F1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It seems that the 2 year nematode AND insect battle to reclaim our 2 main raised beds is FINALLY turning around. After two years of decimated efforts.......we ACTUALLY have a thriving, PRODUCING garden with NO signs of nematodes or bug stings (EVEN ON THE BEANS)........WITHOUT using chemicals. From the fall of last year until this spring I did a massive amount of in-ground composting to boost the attractiveness of the soil to BENEFICIAL nematodes that feed on the bad ones and planted 35 French marigolds throughout the beds as their roots put out a gas that, reportedly, repels the bad nematodes. As far as bug infestation goes, I attribute to the marigolds (dual purpose) and the addition of 7 basil plants. I do believe that we have turned the corner in the battle.View attachment 80780
I hope for you but it has also been cool, at least just north of you. They are heat driven critters. Keep me updated, I have them also. Did you use any shellfish meal or emphasis on creatin eating biology?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hope for you but it has also been cool, at least just north of you. They are heat driven critters. Keep me updated, I have them also. Did you use any shellfish meal or emphasis on creatin eating biology?
Dirt, I did incorporate almost a whole bag of shellfish meal in those two beds along with in-ground composting. It is true that the temps have been sideways this year, even down this far south, to the point that many of our farmers fields are just getting planted. On the flip side of that.......OUR small garden is growing gangbuster style. The past two growing seasons have been a TOTAL bust. The temps, NOW, have started staying in the range one would expect them to be for this time of years. As it continues to heat up, I will let you know if the worms from hell show up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Dirt, I did incorporate almost a whole bag of shellfish meal in those two beds along with in-ground composting. It is true that the temps have been sideways this year, even down this far south, to the point that many of our farmers fields are just getting planted. On the flip side of that.......OUR small garden is growing gangbuster style. The past two growing seasons have been a TOTAL bust. The temps, NOW, have started staying in the range one would expect them to be for this time of years. As it continues to heat up, I will let you know if the worms from hell show up.
Yeah that shellfish meal over a two year period is liable to be the death knell for rkn spawn. I hate it for them.

edit: not even

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@David from Dothan how is your health? Obviously fiesty enough to fight durt I see?
Doing REALLY well, Dirt, for a 68 year old quadruple-bypass survivor (2 1/2 yrs) with (recently, within last 7 days, diagnosed) Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (THE one to have if ya GOTTA have the "L" word). Hope your health is holding up.

Ask a Question