Update on The Cloudberries

Grow Them In Wooded Area Or Keep Them Exposed?

• Exposed (sunny)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhere else (please elaborate)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a (right on the border between two)
Country
United Kingdom
Cloudberry 02-01-2022.jpgCloudberry 2.jpg
Back in November of 2021, I posted that I had some cloudberry seeds. I was excited to finally have a translation for the seed packet too. There is now some progress!

I mixed some horticultural sand with peat-free compost and included some little rocks for drainage. I water them most days because I know they appreciate boggy conditions. I'm a bit worried that if I do elect to go on holiday this year I shall I have to hire a 'cloudberry babysitter' to keep them well watered!

One pot (see photographs) has what is clearly a cloudberry plant. The second pot of the three had a couple of seed leafs, which are probably cloudberry. They grow soooo slowly though (but I am sure it will be worth the wait).

There appears to be a suggestion on the cloudberry Wikipedia page that (and maybe I'm misconstruing what is being said here) that cloudberries grow better in wooded rather than "sun-exposed" habitats:
After pollination, the white (sometimes reddish-tipped) flowers form raspberry-sized aggregate fruits which are more plentiful in wooded rather than sun-exposed habitats.
The citation links me to some Polish university website which I cannot translate and the URL seems to be out of date anyway, seeing as I'm supposed be able to download a PDF but instead it takes me to their homepage ( https://amu.edu.pl/ )

P.S. I did find some Ikea brand SYLT HJORTRON for sale on eBay and I wished it that it could have been an easy way to acquire more seeds but I imagine they have to cook the seeds too to make the jam!

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is wonderful you are getting germination. Perhaps more will emerge in Spring.

In the Far North, Cloudberries (Rubus chamaemorus) can be found in both open tundra and dappled mossy glades, often growing among thick moss. Farther South, they might benefit from additional shade in Summer, or perhaps not if water is ample. Hopefully you will get enough seedlings to try them in several different situations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a (right on the border between two)
Country
United Kingdom
That is wonderful you are getting germination. Perhaps more will emerge in Spring.

In the Far North, Cloudberries (Rubus chamaemorus) can be found in both open tundra and dappled mossy glades, often growing among thick moss. Farther South, they might benefit from additional shade in Summer, or perhaps not if water is ample. Hopefully you will get enough seedlings to try them in several different situations.
I'm a bit worried to keep them too far away from the house because in the summer I am liable to forget to water them as much as I likely should. When I get enough, I could plant set some between the lingonberry* and cranberry plants (an area which could recieve dappled shade due to the cherry tree) and then keep another set fully exposed, making sure I water them even more. Perhaps I should include a source of water under the pot so that the pot stays boggy, now that I think about bit.

I will be excited to share photographs for sure. They have a lovely colour. Some people laughed when I told them about cloudberries, but that only makes more determined.

*Though I think the unpicked lingonberries are now making new plants in the area, so I need to check more thoroughly in the spring.

Ask a Question