Good use of pine cones

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw this tip on Pinterest to keep dogs and cats out of your garden.

9670c8318eed9900ac6587c2b8f5b39a.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I think that's real nice, I suppose as long as the pine cones have opened, otherwise you will be having little tree's to pull out. I could see drying some and doing that in the fall, It would make for a very lovely arrangement.

Two things we always used pine cones for- 1. we roll in peanut butter and seed and put it out for the birds when the weather is to harsh for them to find enough to eat. It keeps the song birds and birds like the blue jays and cardinals in the area 2- I have some that are Xmas decorations, very simple sprayed with some varnish and a bit of glitter on the ends. The sentimental part in me loves it because I always think of my son making them as a child. I like the cinnamon infused ones that you can get at the stores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We use pine cones for decorating the Christmas tree but I didn't know that it can scare away animals. I don't know if the pine nut is really the seed of pine cones. That is the favorite nut of my husband which I think is the most expensive nut here. We also have pine wood that we keep inside the house. They said the pine wood scares away evil spirits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a fantastic idea! Like everyone said, we used pinecones for decoration, and now that we have a dog, I can imagine he would have a great time messing them and spreading them all over the yard :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
That could work very nicely in the right setting. I certainly makes an especially attractive ornamental mulch.
It would discourage most digging animals as there would be some added difficulty in digging through such a layer of pine cones, though a particularly clever and determined animal would find a way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Great fire starters. We used to have a major excess of different kind of cones on our place down in Oregon. Thankfully, no fir trees here in the high dessert of SE Washington State - or the freakin' rain!! They would just blow away anyway. On the down side, we have tumbleweeds thanks to some stupid homesick Russian immigrant in the later 1800's - or so they say.

Ask a Question