Good Evening To All

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and need some helpful tips from greater minds than mine. I am pretty new to the whole wonderful world of gardening so please bear with me with questions I may ask.:geek: I have sold my UK home (renting now) and have purchased a house on the greek island of Kefalonia. Will be emigrating there shortly.I need a little help with knowledge of dryer climate plants and plants which I can plant into containers in April but can be left for a while without too much care as I will be back in uk for periods of time until I emigrate.I won't go on too much for now as I just wanted to say Hi to all first.

Attachments

• P1070005.JPG
    P1070005.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 289

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
welcome pelagia rose I remember going to Kefalonia for a couple of weeks a few years back and seeing olives trees, Citrus & pomegranate trees, Ornamental banana plants, Prickly pear cactus & Bougainvillea It is a lovely Island On top of thoughs I'd suggest trying ricinus communis in a sheltered spot ............Have fun in the Sun;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for that I will note that down, as I will only forget!. I'd love to plant a Bougainvillea in a container then maybe pot it out into the ground somewhere where it could climb and spread. I am going over Easter and then in July so wanted to get some plants/herbs started but obviously can't water between that time. Read a few articles on websites regarding the Bougainvillea but haven't found anything for certain about planting, or buying a good sized plant vrs a younger one and bringing that on. The actual land we have hoped to grow veg on probably needs turning over with a digger as it feels like bedrock with not alot of soil so we will have to section that part off and make new, so deciding to get a few flowering plants to breathe life into the place..Another factor maybe to play with is what ever plants we do buy or plant will be in contact with sea air as house is above a beach and at the bottom of a mountain. Sorry can't explain it much clearer.
I can post pics of the land we need to convert and the position of the place if it helps. We do have one olive tree in which my daughter wants a tree house built on the side of it. There is a large tree which locals call the banana or donkey tree, but that has to come out for some reason.Apparently in the war the donkeys were fed the fruit off the tree then the village women decided to give it to the men.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome on board, and you will find many tips and helpful suggestions here in this forum! I did and continue to learn :)

Reaction score
Hi there, Pelagia! Welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place, this gardening community happens to be one of the most friendly and knowledgeable on the internet. So feel free to ask anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Pelagia Rose. :) It sounds like a beautiful area you are moving to and I envy you all that sun and warmth. Enjoy your new life when you make your permanent move. (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the kind words. I was wondering if if posted a few basic snaps of the bits of land I need to work on would help- eg position, ground ect..anything to help.xx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Hello :)

I looked up Kefalonia and it seems to have a Mediterranean Climate. "Mediterranean Climate" is a common climate designation for plants and gardening and is the same climate as much of California. Knowing that will go a long way in assisting with you plant selections.

http://www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/climate.html

http://ucanr.edu/sites/scmg/Feature_Articles/Mediterranean_Gardening/

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1503307.htm

http://www.plantsdb.gr/en/articles/260-mediterranean-climate-and-plants

Ask a Question