Glad the leaves have nearly finished falling

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Amazing! ...I threw out one black household rubbish bag once in 3 weeks and my gawd, it really stank. Sometimes there were even maggots....
Not organized, I just wash all my foodwaste into the various garden areas. I know many see washing food off food containers (whether they be plastic, paper, cans or glass) as a waste of water, but I don't since I need to water certain things any way, although, it would be a waste if I didn't combine the two.

My banana trees need a lot of water and organic matter, so a lot of it goes in there. I also throw my grease/cooking oil in these areas that are heavily mulched. BTW, speaking of grease/oil, many people don't realize that if they are on paper products, such as pizza boxes, then that makes those paper products non-recyclable -- it will contaminate the entire batch of paper products, so it's best to throw away or compost things like pizza boxes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to hear that so many folks are making lovely compost with their green waste, after all its free and there isn't too much that is these days. Here in the west of England I tend to make two batches per year, the leaves and various prunings dead heading etc which we are adding to the heap now, will be ready for use about May and the compost we make through the spring and early summer wil be used in Autumn the same year, never seem to have any left over, otherwise I might bag it up and sell it at the roadside. I find making compost quite therapeutic, maybe it's because we have the space to have quite large composting pens that it's easy to get in and work.

Ask a Question