What is eating my gladiator parsnip leaves?

Reaction score
And what can I do about it?

I have some parsnips that I planted back in February in large deep hessian sacks on the patio area. They were absolutely thriving with about 3 feet of lush greenery above the soil level. Now it is all being eaten.

Does anyone know what this and how I can sort it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Have you got any photos of the damage?

Reaction score
ooh hadn't thought of that. I will take some tomorrow.

There are holes in the leaves and some seem to have been eaten away completely.

Jed

Reaction score
And what can I do about it?
I have some parsnips that I planted back in February in large deep hessian sacks on the patio area. They were absolutely thriving with about 3 feet of lush greenery above the soil level. Now it is all being eaten.
Does anyone know what this and how I can sort it?

Parsnips are incredibly hardy and have their own natural insecticide so not many pests seem to bother them. I gather you've inspected the leaves for grubs and been out at night to see if those pesky slugs aren't up to mischief but they generally leave parsnips alone and the slimey trails are a sure give away.:confused: Carrot fly can be a problem sometimes but prefer other vegetables over parsnips.They are very obvious during the day particularly when it's sunny.
You could try spraying with an commercial organic leaf spray or make one up yourself. The best bet would be to put on your Sherlock Holmes hat and investigate a little further. Good luck.:)

Ask a Question