Given up on gardening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Shellyann36 I have never heard of a lasagna garden. How did you do that, the concept is layers, that I can understand. I have seen people use tiers on sloping lots, would that be considered lasagna gardening?

It's where you layer stuff like cardboard, leaves, compost "greens" etc. to create the ideal conditions for a raised bed garden plot. There are a few different ways of doing it, and I am pretty sure if you type "lasagna garden" into the search field on Pinterest you'd get a whole bunch of pins for it the next time you're on the site.

Reaction score
I will get frustrated with my garden. The soil may not be right, animals may have eaten all my red tomatoes. WEEDS!!!!! There are countless things that drive me crazy about gardening but there is no better thing than to pick a bucket of peas and know you are going to have them for dinner and they are going to be delicious. There is always something good that comes out of gardening even if it is just hard work and learning something new.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I said this year I wasn't getting any new plants. I was sticking to the few perennials I already have and just getting some basil and maybe a couple more herbs. I also said I was taking a break from raising butterflies; it's just so much work and I am hardly ever home so what happened? Mr. "I want..." decides we should take a walk to the neighborhood nursery. Doesn't he understand I can't go into a place like that? LOL.

The herbs were $2 each when you got five plants so... also got a cherry tomato six pack and two strawberry plants. (Sigh) "Give up on gardening" is obviously not in my vocabulary.

Reaction score
Every year I am doing something so different, I just can't 'give up', its just an evolving thing, a stopping and starting and just taking a different direction type tying, not a STOP as in giving up. Not ever. There is always so much I'm learning. I can't ever think I know it all, even after so many years, growing up this way, etc. that I just shrug it off, and start over every time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I will admit that I am not the best gardener in the world,but I keep plugging along and get better all the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I feel I'm getting better at gardening too. It's a slow process, but I'm very proud of myself and I don't plan to give up. Every day, I learn so many new things. Especially during summer, I spend a lot of time in my garden and I try to make my plants look really gorgeous and healthy:) Like I mentioned before, I lost three miniature roses, and of course I feel terrible at it, but it also motivates me to try harder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Every year I am doing something so different, I just can't 'give up', its just an evolving thing, a stopping and starting and just taking a different direction type tying...

Tell me about it! I said I was going to scale back this year and what happened? I now have TWO gardens! On top of that I am in two plant swapping groups on Facebook that is filled with enablers constantly offering plants for trade, lol. I have stuff in water I'm hoping will root and other stuff that was dug up that I need to replant before it starts to wilt!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Oh I admit sometimes that idea did cross my mind but I didn't do it. But even now I am not getting any new plants anymore. I am like really totally busy! College started and I have got loads of stuff to do. I just take care of the plants I have and that's it. Maybe after college ends which likely will happen after 2 years! I will be an active gardener again :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have already retired from gardening, I did it since 2010, because i got very sick. But I plan to go back to it nice things get better or after my move, whatever happens first ;) So far I have done quite well with my plants, I'd have never stopped gardening if it wasn't for the incident I mentioned earlier, never felt like I failed, so I guess I am lucky :)

Reaction score
I never thought about giving up on gardening as it is one of the few things in life that gives me total peace of mind.

Reaction score
Well, I am still new at it, so I think of giving up whenever I'm too overwhelmed- for example when I have a week or so of 12-hour work days(I work online, I take what I can get) and then add to that the other parts of my life, ...and at some point taking care of plants starts to seem like some sort of a luxury that I can't afford...I get back to it once I get a chance though.

Reaction score
Come to think of it i have never really think about giving up on gardening as this is one true way of releasing my stress; there are periods when i don't do as much as i liked, but that's just a part of life.

Reaction score
This year was my first year trying out gardening. I wanted to give up every time a plant died on me. But I stuck in there. I am now beginning to see great progress with the remaining of my garden. I will continue to research and learn and next year will be even better.

Ask a Question