Given up on gardening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
As I am getting older, and the arthritis in my knees gets worse, and it is hard to bend over, and impossible to kneel, I really think that I need to give up on gardening. My garden is in dire need of weeding again, it it has been either pouring rain, or so hot and mid that I can't rear he outside, so it is just going to have to wait as I get it done a little at a time.
I am not ready to give it up yet, but as it gets harder, I can have less and less of a garden.

Oh, don't do that! Switch to containers like hanging baskets and those waist level raised beds. There are all sorts of things to help you continue to garden as you get older from stools and special tools to little garden scooters. Even a small garden is better than no garden at all!

Reaction score
I think it's a great hobby at any age. try what ChanellG suggest, I am sure it will work out for you. Maybe you could pay the next-door-kid to do the hard work around your garden and you do the rest.

Reaction score
As I am getting older, and the arthritis in my knees gets worse, and it is hard to bend over, and impossible to kneel, I really think that I need to give up on gardening. My garden is in dire need of weeding again, it it has been either pouring rain, or so hot and humid that I can't breathe outside, so it is just going to have to wait , as I get it done a little at a time.
I am not ready to give it up yet, but as it gets harder, I can have less and less of a garden.

I have a problem with my knees as well. I have a table on which I work with my plants. I can understand how you feel with a whole big garden. It is a lot of work. Yes, doing a little at a time may be ideal. I hope you get some help... but do we ever give up gardening?

Reaction score
diatomaceous earth works pretty well for ants, and it's eco friendly, pet and kid safe, can be used on edibles, etc. It's just a fine powder made by grinding up a type of fossilized plant, and it works on bugs because it's sharp at a microscopic level, and pierces their covering shells, or something like that. I've had good success with getting rid of ant hills. Doesn't work so great protecting a specific plant, though, as it washes away every time you water.

I love to garden, but I've gone many years without, due to moving around and living places without decent garden space. Last year we bought a house in Ontario with a great yard, and my son and I dug up the entire front yard and put in a raised flower bed, and my husband and I put in a nice raised vegetable bed in the back yard. This year I am reaping the benefits, and enjoying myself hugely :)

Two other things I have fallen in love with are terrariums and miniature gardens. I have several terrariums in the house, but I haven't tried a miniature garden yet. Basically, they are gardens in little boxes, open to the air, which create a miniature landscape. I plan to start one this winter. These are also good alternatives to outdoor gardening, for people with mobility issues, no garden space, or limited time.

HappyFlowerLady, I hope you find a way to keep gardening, even if it's just a little bit.

Jed

Reaction score
Every year I hear my wife say she will give up on gardening. Having rats, wallabies and possums destroy your plants and seedlings is almost enough to want to quit. Though every year for 25 years we have persisted. It's as if so addicted that a promise to quit is null and void. Gardening junkies. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
My father was a keen gardner, I remember as a child we had a large garden the bottom quarter of which he had as a vegetable garden. The remainder was always a mass of flower borders surrounding a green lawn.
Gardening never really interested me until I bought my first house. The garden was a tip when we bought it and many a weekend was spent getting it up together. All shrubs and flowers. Since that time my interest has never really waned and as my gardens have always been slabs borders and pots many a rest and relaxation weekend would be spent dead-heading, planting new bedding or trimming shrubs before retiring to my lounger with an iced drink.
My biggest "miss" since leaving the UK and living in an apartment with just a small terrace.
Happy days.

Reaction score
I've never really given it that much thought. Giving up gardening is like stopping a hobby of mine. I love to do it because it is the only time get in the day to connect with nature. It gives me an excuse to leave behind all of the other work I have and go outside to garden.

Reaction score
My dogs destroyed my garden a couple of times and I actually cried when I saw what happened, I also said I will give up on gardening. But then I thought, let's try again! And that's what I think every time I wanna give up.

Reaction score
Oh, no. I would never give up on Gardening. Its my life. I can't live without flowers or plants. Its planted in me. I grew up on the farm so its only natural for me to love Gardening. It's one my favorite hobbies. I love Gardening as much as I love myself. I can never go out without it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my knees as well. I have a table on which I work with my plants. I can understand how you feel with a whole big garden. It is a lot of work. Yes, doing a little at a time may be ideal. I hope you get some help... but do we ever give up gardening?
As I am getting older, and the arthritis in my knees gets worse, and it is hard to bend over, and impossible to kneel, I really think that I need to give up on gardening. My garden is in dire need of weeding again, it it has been either pouring rain, or so hot and humid that I can't breathe outside, so it is just going to have to wait , as I get it done a little at a time.

http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Grampas-Weeder/Product1_22051_-1_253800_10551

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, don't do that! Switch to containers like hanging baskets and those waist level raised beds. There are all sorts of things to help you continue to garden as you get older from stools and special tools to little garden scooters. Even a small garden is better than no garden at all!

I agree don't give up something you like doing. Try a raised garden or containers to garden in. I have seen several ideas on Pinterest that will help the aging population continue to do the gardening by bring the height up.

I also have to avoid the back and knees on the ground.

Reaction score
Are the times in your live when you have given up on gardening or at least thought it was not worth it? I have always loved gardening and yet there are times I have felt like there wasn't anything I could do right. However, I never gave up on myself. Now, it seems like I really have a green thumb.
I can understand feeling like it isn't worth it, it can be frustrating at times. When I feel like that it never fails that something will happen in my garden that inspires me to keep trying.

Reaction score
We once lived in an area where the soil was not soil it was the hard packed clay. We had a true tilled garden that was not cutting it so I decided to try a lasagna garden. It worked out wonderfully. I had almost given up but I decided to try something new and it worked wonders. We did not get to stay and see how well everything would turn out. It was a rental property and the owners decided that they were moving back to the area so we had to leave the spring garden in mid production.... :eek::(

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shellyann36 I have never heard of a lasagna garden. How did you do that, the concept is layers, that I can understand. I have seen people use tiers on sloping lots, would that be considered lasagna gardening?

Ask a Question