Have you ever given a plant a name?

Reaction score
What inspired you to name your plant? Did the plant seem to be more lively, and thus entitled to the recognition bestowed upon it by a name, or were you just being silly? I've got a rose bush in my yard named Sandy. She's is nothing but trouble, but I have high hopes for her.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Boris the Olive, and yes, I was just being silly :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Of course i also named my big pressure cooker Bertha, my industrial sewer BigBoy and my little blue convertible Mustang my "Barbie Menopause Car".

what's in a name...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can honestly say that I have never named one of my plants before. I have called the bugs that sometimes invade them a choice name here and there before.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never named a plant but I did name a tree when I was learning about tree divination. It was a Quenepa tree in the front yard of the family home of my ex's family in PR, the tree only grew quenepas during the times that I lived in the home or in the guest house that was behind the tree. I don't remember why but I started to call the tree amado, which means beloved. I was very much into "talking" to the trees then and was very in tune with nature , hard not to be when you are living in a place where you are surrounded by so much undeveloped natural beauty.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I once had a Rubber Tree plant that I named Fred. I don't know why Fred, it just felt like a Fred.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I recently named my small avocado tree started from seed indoors after a good friend because she has been resilient through sickness, divorce, and many other obstacles all in one year. The avocado tree has also had some ups and downs and now, although small, stands firm and is beautiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I recently named my small avocado tree started from seed indoors after a good friend because she has been resilient through sickness, divorce, and many other obstacles all in one year. The avocado tree has also had some ups and downs and now, although small, stands firm and is beautiful.
What is her name?

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I was 15 I had a dill plant as part of a science project. Her name was Nlelith. She actually lived for quite some time! Apparently she died after I moved out of my mom's house, though. Oh well. Rest in peace, Nlelith!!

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Since first grade, I had been hooked by plants that I even named my very first one as "Pink" since it was literally pink and it was my favorite color those days. Unfortunately, Pink met its demise after two years when we moved out of the house because we left it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a croton for many years that I called Grandpa, in honor of, well, my grandpa. It was funny when one of us would walk by and comment that Grandpa needed to be watered. My husband said that one day when we had houseguests. The look on their faces was priceless. I think, for a split second, they thought we maybe had my real grandpa hidden in the attic or something!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You lot have done it now, decided to name my Cactus Oucho :rolleyes:

Ask a Question