Garlic?

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May be. Will depend on water, feed, light, variety and how long you let them grow for.
As always mine went in the ground in November and got left to their own devices. Come through in a few weeks and are currently about six inches tall. My understanding is that they make roots over the winter so they can get a good start when it warms up in spring. In my garden it is water during the growing season that determines yield more than anything else.
I doubt if your climate is colder than mine so I'm not sure you'll get much benefit from the heated greenhouse.
If I was living where you are: I'd look to plant a variety suitable for your area, stick it in the ground 3 to 4 inches down in fertile soil (see when others are putting them in locally for the best time) and leave them to grow. Come spring weed, feed and water in dry spells.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thinking on maybe a Container. My regular Garden is with Cover Crop all Winter.

Right now it would get 17 hours of light. Temperature at the coldest is 53F but I haven't turned the Heater up.

I'm going to plant Onions and bunch other stuff.

My plans are to plant Onions and Garlic in my Garden in the Spring to keep bugs away I know the Garlic won't get big but like I say it is to keep bugs away along with Basil and Mint in Pots.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
PS Depending on your location, it is not too late to do this now. In the NY Metro area there hasn't been a frost and the ground isn't frozen, plenty of time to put bulbs in the ground.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right now it would get 17 hours of light. Temperature at the coldest is 53F but I haven't turned the Heater up.
If I could afford to heat my greenhouse to 53°F (c10°C) and light it for 17 hrs then I would be growing far more interesting plants than garlic and onions (they would still be in the ground outside). Think of the orchids and bromeliads you could grow, home grown pineapple.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have hundreds of plants in there including Banana Trees, Palms, Lemon Tree, Orange Tree and many Flowers.

I'm just wanting a section for eating stuff. Seen the other day I have two Tomato Plants I don't know where they come from.

It is very crowded.

big rockpile

20231219_074247.jpg
20231219_074255.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Those volunteers always seem to grow tiny tomatoes for me, don't know why. Greenhouse is looking great, big rockpile. Is that a whole shelf of aloes? A friend gave me one late August and I already have three babies growing from it

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those volunteers always seem to grow tiny tomatoes for me, don't know why. Greenhouse is looking great, big rockpile. Is that a whole shelf of aloes? A friend gave me one late August and I already have three babies growing from it
My Son moved them. Got Lavender and Christmas Cactus up there.

There is one Aloe on other side of the Banana Trees that is huge. In front of them is couple Pineapples.

Keeps me busy. It's supposed to rain bunch next week so might spend more time in there.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
We had garlic yesterday in our Christmas dinner.

Lobster tail spaghetti.

View attachment 101139
That looks so good.

My understanding is I can plant Garlic in the Spring and use the tops.

We are planning in the future to use Spaghetti Squash in place of Spaghetti.

Got some Shrimp I'm wanting to fry. Everyone that is for Gumbo.

What is funny when we lived in Louisiana they got tired real fast eating down there.

big rockpile

Ask a Question