Garlic...love it or hate it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have also never heard of garlic cubes, where are they sold at? I agree though that they are probably not good for you. I like to use fresh garlic unless I am adding it to mashed potatos or something, then I will use the powder kind so that there are not chunks.

Reaction score
I don't hate garlic, but I don't love it enough to put it on everything. I like garlic well enough, especially in Asian cooking.
If those garlic cubes are like bouillon cubes, they sound disgusting.

Reaction score
Garlic cubes? I didn't know there are things like that!

Yeah, we also have coriander flavored cubes, they are used so you can give a special flavor to your foods... if you are unable to find fresh coriander or garlic for some reason :D This is what I'm talking about:

1270-317971-grlic_sesoner_272x335.png

Reaction score
I have also never heard of garlic cubes, where are they sold at? I agree though that they are probably not good for you. I like to use fresh garlic unless I am adding it to mashed potatos or something, then I will use the powder kind so that there are not chunks.

Hi there! You mean these:

You can find those at most Hispanic marts. Plenty of them in Texas (where I am from) ;) You can also find coriander ones... you know, just in case you don't have any fresh coriander. Their taste is a bit stronger than coriander tho, since the cube also has some salt. It's perfect if you are in a hurry.

Reaction score
I didn't hear of garlic cubes before either. It sounds disgusting! I'm sure they contain many preservatives and other chemicals. Real, natural garlic isn't expensive at all, it's weird that there are peope who prefer to use some weird, artificial substitutes:unsure:

They are, I have never use them, but some people use them because they're practical (or so they think). I also prefer fresh garlic :) I try to avoid processed as much as humanly possible! Nothing beats fresh garlic, specially when making a tasty sauce. But I know there are people who buy those cubes, because the product is still being sold here :eek: They also have coriander ones :sick:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Yeah, we also have coriander flavored cubes, they are used so you can give a special flavor to your foods... if you are unable to find fresh coriander or garlic for some reason :D This is what I'm talking about:

We also use Knorr in our cooking, but we only have pork, chicken, beef, shrimp, and tamarind. I guess we don't have this because garlic is very common here. This is really interesting to know. Coriander, too, huh? :p Thanks for this info!

Reaction score
Wow, tamarind?? By tamarind you mean this one?

upload_2014-10-6_22-49-34.jpeg

Do you guys use that for cooking? :eek: We use that here only to make some nice drinks, no idea it could be used for cooking as well :eek: By the way, I think people buy the garlic and coriander stuff because they like the flavor those tiny dices give to their food. I personally prefer the real thing (y)

Reaction score
I'm Filipino. We put that shit on everything.

I like to use fresh garlic unless I am adding it to mashed potatos or something, then I will use the powder kind so that there are not chunks.

I highly recommend a garlic press. It takes so much quicker than chopping garlic and the result is usually fine enough to be used in mashed potato. If you want, soften them in butter before adding. :)

Quick Edit: Tamarind Cubes are usually used for Sinigang, a sour-broth meat dish. If you can find fresh tamarind, it's very good when it's cold outside. :)

Reaction score
I love garlic! I mix it with almost any sauce for meats, seafood, annd d poultry. I rub minced garlic on barbecue marinades. How I wish i could also grow my own garlic because there are seasons when garlic price becomes so unaffordable for a frugal family. We had to resort to dried garlic for our cooking needs. We prefer using the smaller variety of garlic as it brings out more flavor. The larger variety is a bit bland although much cheaper and more abundant in most markets.

Reaction score
I love garlic! I mix it with almost any sauce for meats, seafood, annd d poultry. I rub minced garlic on barbecue marinades. How I wish i could also grow my own garlic because there are seasons when garlic price becomes so unaffordable for a frugal family. We had to resort to dried garlic for our cooking needs. We prefer using the smaller variety of garlic as it brings out more flavor. The larger variety is a bit bland although much cheaper and more abundant in most markets.

I think garlic is one of those plants where growing it yourself really makes a difference. I found that home-grown garlic has more sweetness than normal garlic. It really is a great flavour. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sunny, tell us where you are located and I bet someone will be able to come up with a variety of garlic that you can grow.
Venny is right--home grown garlic is really tastier. We have found that not only does our garlic from the garden lack the "bite" of grocery garlic, but that it is also more potent and we use less for the same "kick". We freeze peeled garlic cloves, make a garlic puree to freeze, and dry garlic. By now you have guessed that we use a lot of garlic!

Reaction score
marlingardener, we live in the tropics, in South Asia (Philippines) where it rains half of the year. Sometimes it floods for four days. If ever I will be growing my own garlic, these will be in planter boxes if that is possible. I have notice that garlic from the highland dry regions of our country have bolder flavor over those varieties that come from colder countries such as Taiwan. I guess the weather is a big factor in determining the right garlic breed to plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sunny, planter boxes are the perfect solution for you. Garlic doesn't require deep soil, just fertile soil and enough moisture to keep things growing. My garlic book (yes, people write books about garlic, and stranger still, people like me buy the books!) recommends a Turban type for hot and humid climates, as well as the Artichoke and and Silverskin varieties. We plant a Silverskin variety and find it easy to grow, very good tasting both raw and roasted, and it keeps moderately well.

Reaction score
Garlic! I just love it! Once there is garlic in my kitchen it's a sure thing i'll be using it in all my dishes...i especially love to taste it in my shrimp...and when i am suffering from a bad cold a hot cup of garlic tea usually do the trick.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK, people don't appreciate tamarind nearly enough, and tend to associate it with HP brown sauce.
I use it in curries etc, I LOVE its sour fruity taste.
I'd be right interested in some of you tamarind drinks recipes, Trellum, if you have the time to post them, please?

Ask a Question