Gardening allergy mask/coping advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seasonal allergies, to pollen, etc. Was wondering how gardeners with similar allergies have coped with this. I get watery, itchy eyes, stuffy, runny nose, etc. Definitley not fun, and makes it less enjoyable. I'd prefer not to have to take any drugs just to cope with this. Are some kind of outdoor allergy gardening masks a thing? I feel like they'd be a pain though, especially when it's hot out....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thats a hard one. I am allergic to yellow squash leaves, they give me a dermatitus like a mild poison ivy. Sunday I caught a tall leaf in the lower lid corner of my eye and my eye blistered up like a 3rd degree burn. But I like squash! Thats what I told the eye doctor anyway. I guess for you being aware of which specific family of plants is important so that you might manage your relationship more carefully. I wonder if the idea of a nose spray either prior or post gardening would help you? Eyedrops too for that matter?

Last edited:

Ask a Question