New to Gardening, Old Beds

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just moved into my house a year ago and there are raised beds in the back yard. When we moved, they were covered with weeds. I’m not sure when the last garden was here but I’m interested in growing some vegetables this summer. I don’t know how to get started using an old bed since there’s old dirt already in the beds. My grandmother told me I should pull the weeds then turn over the soil to loosen it up and add fertilizer. Is that all that that needs to be done? Should I add new soil too? Please help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just moved into my house a year ago and there are raised beds in the back yard. When we moved, they were covered with weeds. I’m not sure when the last garden was here but I’m interested in growing some vegetables this summer. I don’t know how to get started using an old bed since there’s old dirt already in the beds. My grandmother told me I should pull the weeds then turn over the soil to loosen it up and add fertilizer. Is that all that that needs to be done? Should I add new soil too? Please help!
Your grandmother is basically correct.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice so I don’t have to add any new soil to the ground as long as I add fertilizer?
It is always a good thing to add to the soil but not necessarily add soil. I would work some compost into the soil along with the fertilizer. Maybe a little azomite or greensand too. Gardening is not just digging a hole and dropping a seed in. There is a lot more to it than that. I would ask your grandmother about her gardening experiences. I bet she can tell you a lot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is always a good thing to add to the soil but not necessarily add soil. I would work some compost into the soil along with the fertilizer. Maybe a little azomite or greensand too. Gardening is not just digging a hole and dropping a seed in. There is a lot more to it than that. I would ask your grandmother about her gardening experiences. I bet she can tell you a lot.
o my grandmother’s husband did most of the garden. She’s also 96 and doesn’t have the best memory of most tips. So that’s why I’m here haha. But thank you so much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
o my grandmother’s husband did most of the garden. She’s also 96 and doesn’t have the best memory of most tips. So that’s why I’m here haha. But thank you so much!
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
once you get it weeded and soil turned over, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the soil tested. just so you know what you have

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Get rid of the weeds and turn the soil as your grandma suggested. You don't have to add soil, but you can use compost to add nutrients back into the soil for your vegetables. Garden nurseries sell compost, or you can make your own. I'm seeing more food compost turners now than I have before.

Ask a Question