Having difficulties propagating my azalea (new to gardening)

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Ive been trying to propagate my azalea japonica by cutting 10-12cm of stems.
I put a plastic film over the top of the pot, with a small part open on one side, and placed it in a place where it gets filtered sun.
After just a couple of days the stem leaves look weak and sad, with some of them turning brown.
I did the mistake to move them into direct sun in the early morning, thinking that it was still spring or something.

Is there something else i should be aware of?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My method would be. Get hormone powder. Get a pot of good soil, medium size. Put your finger in the middle of the soil in the pot and make a hole straight down with your finger. Find a decent branch on your azalea, cut it at an angel, dip cut end into the hormone powder, do not shake off. Gingerly lower the branch inside the hole you made with your finger in the pot of soil. Holding the steady with one hand, gently firm up the soil around it. Place the pot in a dish so you can water it from below, let the soil suck up the water. Put that outside in a protected area, not direct sun, some sun, some shade. Except for making sure some water is at the bottom for a few weeks. Leave it alone. The plastic bag thing not necessary. If you start this in the Spring, then come Fall you will see at the bottom little white roots. Yes, it takes that long. And even at that stage it is not ready for the "ground". At best you can transplant it then into a larger pot. If you have a garage with some sunlight, store it there during the winter, don't forget to give it some water.

Ask a Question