Anyone from Long Island having garlic disease issues?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m from Suffolk County. I plant my garlic in the fall. When they first emerged after wintering, they appeared normal. Now, I’m noticing yellowing on the bottom two fronds closest to the base of the neck. Harvesting is two months from now and yet they look the way they do just before I stop watering them. Does anyone else have this problem? I have been carrying this garlic line for 15 years! I’m extremely concerned. Any suggestions? Thank you I’m advance!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, did you get an answer? I've the same issue, some plants turning yellow and acting like they do two weeks before harvest. I'm concerned about white rot. P.s. The bulbs I dug up were a little slimy and were yellowing. BTW, in N.E. Texas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I've grown garlic for years, and never encountered this. However, this year has been very different for gardens. There has been an abundance of rain (understatement) and swings in temperature.
Are there any tiny holes in the garlic bulbs? That is an indication of nematodes which can be controlled by a soil spray.
http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/factsheets/garlicdiseases.pdf has a great explanation of diseases, what they look like, and how to control them.
I plant garlic in a different spot each year which I do simply for plant nutrition but now I find out that crop rotation cuts down on diseases. Who knew?

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, no holes, just the tops going yellow and , the cloves are (partially) brown and slimy, look like they are rotting but no white mold. They were submerge for about two weeks with all the rain we had here. Was in a new patch but did order some online last year to up my yield. Wanting to sell at farmers market's. Tilling up a new patch in Oct and planting the healthy looking ones there. Asked the CoOp about herbicides to kill white rot (maybe), when I hear back from them I'll let you know. P.s. growing elephant garlic, Russian red and Siberian. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fyi, pics worth a 1000's words.

Attachments

• G2.jpg
    G2.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 33
  • G1.jpg
    G1.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 33

Ask a Question