Gardenia flowering!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I mentioned your growing/seed starting to a colleague and she said that some gardenias produce a fruit. We happened to be standing in front of a thunbergia vine at the time coincidentally. I'm pretty sure the gardenia I have is some kind of jasminoide. I usually deadhead, but now you have me wondering about it.
I figured they had some sort of fruit since there are gardenia seeds but I hadn't bothered to really investigate since I figured I was no where near the flowering stage with how young mine are. I googled and here are the fruits!

gardenia_jasminoides_fruit_close.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Gardenias are picky some times buggers. However it looks as though you've done one heck of a job with your Gardenias. Much respect too you bro, Oh and how long did it take you to get them to the stage they are now?
I planted these seeds last Christmas and they sprouted a few weeks into January so they are about 10 months old.

Reaction score
I have tried the paper towel method. I failed with everything I tried

Thanks for the compliments. Gardenias are my favorite plants...and they are a pain in the butt indoors in winter. I really was amazed that this plant flowered so soon. I saw my gardenias setting buds for next spring and the next thing I knew out comes a flower. I think it was anxious to say hello and didn't want to wait until next spring :)

You are welcome! I knew that there are only a few man who loves gardening and especially who likes to grow flowering plants. That is why I had said that you had a gifted hand to grow and taking care of plants :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You are welcome! I knew that there are only a few man who loves gardening and especially who likes to grow flowering plants. That is why I had said that you had a gifted hand to grow and taking care of plants :)
Thanks:) My guy friends think I'm crazy. I'm not exactly the type one would expect to be into this kind of thing. I've always loved the outdoors and nature. I'm not a "tree hugger" or PETA member (not that I have anything against those things) but growing up in a small town and spending my childhood in the country, I appreciate things some people don't see or were never exposed to. Everything I grow is intended to be a bonsai tree at some point. I love bonsai trees!! :love: When my dog died last year I was devastated. My girlfriend at the time bought me a bonsai tree to give me something to take care of...to take my mind off of it a bit. It helped and I've been into bonsai ever since. Luckily, there is a really knowledgeable bonsai guy who owns a store near where I live. I spend a lot of my free time picking his brain. For me, a gardenia bonsai is the ultimate prize. Below is what I hope to have myself one day.

Who can argue this is anything but amazing?

garden10.jpg

Ask a Question