Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b, Warm Summer, Mediterranean Climate
Country
United States
IMG_1291.JPG IMG_1290.JPG
IMG_1289.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG
Veitchii Gardenia, bought about a month ago. Looks like it is growing nicely; many buds and new growth have appeared. None of the buds have yet to bloom, however. I lost the first when the outer "shell" became hard/crispy and black/brown, then the whole thing snapped off at the top of the stem. The calyx, speak, stem, etc. all look fine, though. See pictures. Just lost the second bud, so I'm posting! There is also a picture of another bud that crisped, but has not yet fallen; I picked off most of the crispy black.

I have an August Beauty, also (in the blue pot). Smaller with fewer buds. Waiting for it to bloom, as well. So far, it has done none of this crisping.

I am in San Jose, CA - 9b, I think. They get morning and afternoon sun.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Get a fresh bloom that is starting to show damage and a sheet of paper. Open up the bloom over the paper and see if there are any very very tiny bugs. If you see any you have thrips insects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b, Warm Summer, Mediterranean Climate
Country
United States
IMG_1292.JPG
I don't think I have a problem with thrips. I have lightly sprayed with a Bayer 3 in 1 product, just in case.

I have noticed some little worms, on occasion, making silky structures and blighting both my gardenias and "prized" roses. So far, they have all received a sound squashing.

August Beauty managed the first (and only, so far) bloom of both gardenia, after several odd days of blazing heat (95, 100+!) It smelled amazing...obviously.

Reaction score
Country
United States
a kind of too much sun can be a problem for this plant too.

Their leaves don't mind getting sun all day but the can cause many problems if hit by the sun too much.
They don't like very warm root temps. Not only will the buds wilt & drop, but you can also get yellow leaves a lot.
Keeping the roots cool all summer long, evenly moist with a fertilizer in as much in sun as possible, the tree will flourish...

Ask a Question