Garden shredders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
resize.jpeg

My father in law had 2 lots next to ours and would use this type machine to clean up and repurpose the fallen debris from the heavily wooded lots. It fell to me when he moved and I found it to be a good system. I can use woodchips as a path, or compost them in a pile. It is a splendid way to reduce the volume of leaves and ready them for composting. The volume it can hold will easily fill a wheelbarrow, and it is self propelled so that work of lugging materials about is much reduced. It is a dusty machine however, so I like to use it for quite a while rather than short work to keep down the mess.

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

That looks like a very useful machine DirtMechanic; I have a 31 year old push along petrol mower; the wheels fell apart so I turned wooden wheels and fitted them; I service it every Autumn (Fall) as I do my other machines so I seldom have to buy a new machine; this morning I serviced the petrol hedge trimmer and chainsaw the petrol mower still needs servicing but I'll be giving it an oil change as well. Decent machines here in the UK cost a lot of money hence we suffer cheap tinny imported rubbish which might last until the warranty expires?

Woodchips are so useful around a garden; I'm hoping to obtain free loads of woodchips but since I've been wanting them our tree surgeons appear to be an endangered species; when I don't want a tree surgeon they are lining up to pester us; I intend to mulch our entire rear garden with woodchips doing away with the grass.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wooden wheels pique my interest. I have read on this forum about these "council" gangs that seem to dominate a gangster protection racket over their locales. Should you, or anyone you promote, need me to ship you anything that would hurt their communist structure I am at your service. My email is tintcutter(at)gmail. People do not understand why we voted Trump, but those councils explain things nicely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My back is negotiating with me about the terms under which it next would be willing to shuffle fallen leaves to the compost pile. Still, the pile grew large today, but they are not half way down yet.

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
My back is negotiating with me about the terms under which it next would be willing to shuffle fallen leaves to the compost pile. Still, the pile grew large today, but they are not half way down yet.
Consider a leaf blower, no need to bend your back using one of those. Or, if your budget and yard is large enough, a lawn vacuum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you for your considerations. At this point of my yard evolution, I have a commercial grade Stihl backpack blower as well as a smaller hand held Stihl blower. These devices have much improved vibration and noise compared to the machines they replaced. In fact, I use the backpack to pile the leaves, and remove them by other means. I also have a self propelled troybilt chipper shredder, but it is overwhelmed with the leaves so I drag them off and pile them because I have no better idea of how to handle them.

Ask a Question