Garden art

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I'm feeling very inspired....at 2 a.m. Today I saw something really effective in a very big market shed which sells all manner of collectables. On the massive back wall above a large fire place were 2 penny farthing bikes mounted, the larger one on top. It look really quite stunning and here is my inspiration which seems great at this hour, let's see how I feel in the light of day.
I have my mums old push mower. I've had it fixed once but still doesn't work. I also have a bluestone wall. I'm thinking mower mounted on an angle or rust effects it and stand in my garden with my rusty duck family.
To garden art or not to garden art, that is the question,:confused:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I went on a vegetable garden year a few years ago and one of the gardens featured old bicycles as trellises for vegetables - it was really charming and functional too! I think you should do it.
I have a 1940s era iron push mower in my shed that I bought at a barn sale some years back. Now you've got me thinking I ought to do something functional with it...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I'm feeling very inspired....at 2 a.m. Today I saw something really effective in a very big market shed which sells all manner of collectables. On the massive back wall above a large fire place were 2 penny farthing bikes mounted, the larger one on top. It look really quite stunning and here is my inspiration which seems great at this hour, let's see how I feel in the light of day.
I have my mums old push mower. I've had it fixed once but still doesn't work. I also have a bluestone wall. I'm thinking mower mounted on an angle or rust effects it and stand in my garden with my rusty duck family.
To garden art or not to garden art, that is the question,:confused:

When it comes to creativity sky is the limit. Do post pictures when your creative thoughts are seen in your garden. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When the creative juice strikes, go for it! Once you have mounted and find out it was not what you wanted, you can always take it down. But I think it will look lovely on the bluestone wall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think it's worth a try. One of my friends used an old bicycle as a trellis. It looks kind of nice, although it's not my style at all.
Please, remember to take a picture of your garden art:)

Reaction score
Garden art is so cool, I love to see it, but not sure I want to have one. They are so pretty to see though and I truly admire those garden artists, but this might not be my thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The wooden ladder sounds effective Lori. I have a very creative friend who used an old small wooden ladder in her lounge for magazines, mainly about gardening of course. It looked good but I don't think it's there now as she is constantly moving things around. It's probably in her garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I agree with you Trellum , you don't have to want things in your garden to appreciate their worth. It's great that we all do out own thing.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Old artifacts and seemingly useless objects can make great garden art if you use a little creativity and elbow grease. The one thing you just have to be careful of is that it does not appear as though you just stuck an object in the garden, could look tacky that way. I really like to see when people paint up an object, or transform it into something useful for the garden. It is a great way to repurpose items destined for the garbage and is a form of recycling.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I like garden art and have a couple of stone statues in flowerbeds, but I'm not very creative. When I see a piece of rusty equipment, all I see is rusted metal.
Bird Bath 1.jpg

I did stack some stone pavers (artistically, I thought) and put a shallow pot tray on top, with a fossil to keep it from blowing off the pavers. It makes a nice bird watering station and used up the pavers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
People do some amazing things with garden art these days and I wish I was as talented to come up with some interesting creations on my own. It looks like we will be getting a new house soon, and the yard will be virgin territory and so I can do whatever I want with it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My garden art consists of my children's items they have made me that will sub stain the brutal weather outside. I have things such as their cement hand prints, to things with just mosaic tiles, or even items with our last name or our last initial. Now, I've seen people put garden flags in their gardens, which look nice too, I just haven't done that yet. Maybe one day I'll get one. However, I think gardens look great with an extra added touch, but for me it has to be something personal.

Ask a Question