Fungus(?) on raised bed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure if this is the right forum but on one of my raised beds I have this white fungus looking thing that seems to be growing where the boards of the raised bed meet. It's rather hard to the touch and difficult to break off. I'm not sure what it is and I'm wondering if any of you all do. Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• PXL_20230708_221750947.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230708_221750947.MP.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not sure if this is the right forum but on one of my raised beds I have this white fungus looking thing that seems to be growing where the boards of the raised bed meet. It's rather hard to the touch and difficult to break off. I'm not sure what it is and I'm wondering if any of you all do. Thanks for any suggestions.
That is just a slime mold. Nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We think it looks like dry rot fungus. Zigs said it reminds him of all the dry rot fungus he has seen here when renovating old churches.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. Detrimental to the plants or is it that the raised bed will decay quicker.... Or something else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks. Detrimental to the plants or is it that the raised bed will decay quicker.... Or something else.
Slime mold is the fruiting bodies of certain fungi. These fungi feed on dead and decaying organic matter. You probably have quite a bit of decaying material in your garden soil and the fungi is just breaking this down into a form that your plants can uptake as nutrition. It might make your raised bed decay a little quicker but a wooden raised bed will still decay no matter what. You still have a long way to go before your raised bed finally bites the dust. It is actually beneficial and will not hurt your plants.

Ask a Question