Mold/fungus growth in pots

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everybody,

Writing with a question about mold/fungus growth that I've noticed in several of my indoor plants. The growth appears slightly different in each case (pictures below). There is a slightly green/white growth that I noticed in my snake plant and fern pots, while I noticed a more white "dust-like" growth in the pot of my spider plant. The fern is in the kitchen in an otherwise humid part of the house, while the two other plants are in my bedroom.

Hoping to get some insight on a couple things:
  1. What types of mold/fungus are these?
  2. Do they have any ill effects on either a) the plants or b) my potential health?
  3. What sorts of remedies are recommended to resolve the growth and/or prevent it in the future?

I've found mixed results in what I've searched so far - any info you have or even pointing me in the right direction of some good reading would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Pictures below:

1. Snake plant

IMG_8937.JPEG
IMG_8936.JPEG

2. Fern
IMG_8938.JPEG

IMG_8939.JPEG

3. Spider plant
IMG_8934.JPEG

IMG_8933.JPEG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The first 4 pictures appear to be a slime mold. The last two pictures appear to possibly be the fruiting bodies of Tricoderma. All are harmless to plants and the Tricoderma is both harmless and beneficial. All of these fungi are feeding and breaking down the dead and decomposing organic matter in the soil. Nothing to worry about although it is a little unsightly. It will go away on its own but if you don't like it just scrape it up and dispose of it.

Ask a Question