Fungus ID??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Just joined hoping to get some help with an ID.

I noticed what I think is a fungus growing on the trunk of a laurel tree. I noticed a couple of white circles yesterday that I'd guess were about 1 inch in diameter. Then today I noticed it had turned into the large blob shown in the photo. Size is now about 7cm x 11 cm.

It's glossy and almost pearl like on the surface, although the picture doesn't appear as shiny as in real life. That damaged area on the left of the mass is where I poked it with a stick.

Any ideas as to what it is and what I should do with it would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_20240313_094531.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is just a slime mould and nothing to worry about - won't hurt man nor beast!
If you find it unsightly you can wash it away, or rake it off the tree and pop it in the bin, but when the sun comes out (if it ever does) it will dry up and disappear all on it's own!!
Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But if it ripens and dried out, it will spread spores everywhere.
:giggle: and any little offspring slime moulds won't hurt anyone either. I also ripened and dried out, and am happy to report that I left three little spores behind as well, and that wasn't the end of it either. 🤭

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The neighbors might not be happy though. Actually the yellow type of slime mold, Fuligo Septica, commonly known as Dog Vomit mold or Scrambled Egg Mold (because that's what it looks like), is cooked and eaten in parts of Mexico.

Hmm, No thanks. I'm like Andrew Zimmern with my eating habits, but I think I will draw the line there. (I have seen and had to deal with it on our lawn a couple of years ago....)

Ask a Question