Need help on mulch contaminated with artillery fungus

Reaction score
Country
United States
We had mulch last year that was contaminated with artillery fungus. I tried to remove all of the mulch and put new mulch down, but the fungus came back and shot black mold spores around the perimeter of the entire house. I am still questioning whether or not it is really possible to remove all of the contaminated mulch. The bushes are probably contaminated with mold spores as well.

I don't want to replace the mulch with rocks or rubber because no one does that in my area.

It is not possible to remove all of the mold spores off the house. I would like to know if I have to remove all of the mulch and bushes and grass everything over.

I am not sure that fungicide would work. I would appreciate some advice. I talked to a landscaper, but the person really did not have any ideas on how to treat the problem. I also did not get any help when I talked to a mulch center.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
If it were mine (and I have never had that fungus), I would rake the contaminated mulch into a row to expose it to direct sunlight...and turn it every other day or so to make sure it all gets exposed to the direct sunshine. Any that remains on plants I would spray it off with pressure water spray and let the area dry in full sun if possible. Sunlight and water pressure are not friends to that fungus.

Ask a Question