Fruit or Nut tree that won't attract bears

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a small piece of property across an easement that is presently unused. Is there any fruit or a nut tree, or anything, that the Bears will leave alone? It seems silly not to have it producing some thing.

Thank you,

Paul

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

American Black Bears (Ursus americanus) have an omnivorous diet. They will possibly eat most foods that humans will eat.
Foods more likely to be left alone include many pungent herbs, leafy green vegetables, and hot chili peppers (Capsicum cvs.).

Reaction score
Country
United States
How much of a problem are the bears in your area? I live now in an area that has occasional bears, and for the most part, they have enough to eat in the local forests that they aren't much of a problem. I used to live on the outskirts of Sequoia National Park. Again, we had the occasional bear wander through on its way to the river, but most of the bears stayed up in the park area. However, one year there were few berries in the park area, and our town was inundated with bears. I think they decimated many, many gardens that year.

If you really want to grow something there, you can install an electric fence around the trees. There are electric fences powered by solar. We use one along one side of our backyard fence.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The property is directly between national forest and Indian Creek. The fire that went through here destroyed a lot of the national forest and the bears are attracted to the plums and apples.
Here in the yard the dogs keep critters away. I fear that between the bears and the deers I would have to create fort Knox to protect fruit trees n the unprotected land. I did not think about solar powered electric fence. The neighboring property has some very large dog first so the sun is going to be a hit and miss issue. Thank you so much.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The property is directly between national forest and Indian Creek. The fire that went through here destroyed a lot of the national forest and the bears are attracted to the plums and apples.
Here in the yard the dogs keep critters away. I fear that between the bears and the deers I would have to create fort Knox to protect fruit trees n the unprotected land. I did not think about solar powered electric fence. The neighboring property has some very large dog first so the sun is going to be a hit and miss issue. Thank you so much.

Most of these allow you to mount the solar panel a short distance away from the fence, so you could mount it in a location that gets a little more sun. You could also hook it up to a battery. The battery charges when there is sun, and would provide power for the nighttime and shadows. Ours stays charged for at least the night, so it must have some kind of internal battery by itself. I think that is your best option.

Ask a Question