Please help me!!!

mayalof

Maya
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I bought a monstera deliciosa from a guy and when I got home and had a propper look I realized the soil has white dots and there are tiny brownish bugs in it. How can I get rid of this and what is it? Thank you to whomever takes the time to help me!!

mayalof

Maya
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Here is the white stuff

Attachments

• white5.jpg
    white5.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 15
  • white4.jpg
    white4.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 15
  • white3.jpg
    white3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 16
  • white2.jpg
    white2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 16
  • white1.jpg
    white1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The white spots in the soil appears to be a fungus and the unseen insects, just might be Fungus Gnats (Sciaroidea, Diptera).
Neither directly poses a major threat to your Ceriman (Monstera deliciosa), but both might be indicative of over-watering.
Going forward, let the surface of the potting soil look dry before irrigating. However, if either the soil or container do not drain well, re-pot immediately.

mayalof

Maya
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Ok thank you! I know they are not fungus gnats though, they don't have wings and are much smaller. More legs too. Do you know what they could be?

Attachments

• blä2.jpg
    blä2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 17
  • blä1.jpg
    blä1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 19
  • blä.jpg
    blä.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 22

mayalof

Maya
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The white spots in the soil appears to be a fungus and the unseen insects, just might be Fungus Gnats (Sciaroidea, Diptera).
Neither directly poses a major threat to your Ceriman (Monstera deliciosa), but both might be indicative of over-watering.
Going forward, let the surface of the potting soil look dry before irrigating. However, if either the soil or container do not drain well, re-pot immediately.
Yes, overwatering no question about it. This is what was in the decorative pot when I took out the monstera...

Attachments

• blää.jpg
    blää.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's good you found the overwatering problem early.

I really can't make out any details on the insect photos.
Does your camera have a macro setting? Many do, and it is the best way to take close-shots of details and small objects.

mayalof

Maya
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I will try to get better pictures tomorrow. Do you know if neem oil works on most pests? I've heard it kills some but not sure if I should buy some since I don't know what the bugs are

Reaction score
Country
United States
For soil insects, you could try a Neem Oil soil drench, but first it is good to identify them. They may be harmless or beneficial, or they may disappear on their own, if the plant's cultural conditions improve.

mayalof

Maya
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I
For soil insects, you could try a Neem Oil soil drench, but first it is good to identify them. They may be harmless or beneficial, or they may disappear on their own, if the plant's cultural conditions improve.
just got some better pictures see below

mayalof

Maya
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I can't find any sings of them on the stems or leaves, but the soil is full of them...

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 16
  • bug1.jpg
    bug1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 13
  • bug2.jpg
    bug2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 16
  • bug3.jpg
    bug3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 17
  • bug4.jpg
    bug4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 19
  • bug5.jpg
    bug5.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 14
  • bug6.jpg
    bug6.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 18
  • bug7.jpg
    bug7.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 17
  • bug8.jpg
    bug8.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 12
  • bug9.jpg
    bug9.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 14
  • bug10.jpg
    bug10.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
United States
These are good photos, especially the second shot. This is a soil mite (likely Oribatida, Acari). It is part of the typical decomposition fauna of organic matter in soil. Letting soil dry more between irrigation will reduce their numbers. They do not feed on living plants. Most mites have eight legs, but larvae have six, and the Superfamily Eriophyoidea, which includes many of the Gall Mites, have only four legs.

Ask a Question